Route searches through same VPN as torrents

Other platforms, generic questions.
XWRed5

Route searches through same VPN as torrents

Post by XWRed5 »

I have qBittorrent running on a qnap NAS with all torrent traffic routing through a VPN, works like a charm.

When I use the search facility I get no results because my ISP blocks the sites I'm trying to search. If I use an HTTP proxy (Options - Connection - Proxy Server) then I get search results but the torrenting doesn't work, it looks like the ports aren't being forwarded properly, no DHT nodes.

Is there a way I can route both the torrents and the search requests through the same network?
bob2306

Re: Route searches through same VPN as torrents

Post by bob2306 »

I don't follow this, when you use a VPN everything should go through it by default.
KellyP

Post by KellyP »

Yes, there is a way to route both the torrents and the search requests through the same network. You can do this by using a VPN that supports both torrenting and proxying.

Here are the steps on how to do it:

1. Install a VPN that supports both torrenting and proxying.
2. Configure your VPN to route all traffic through the VPN.
3. In qBittorrent, go to Options > Connection > Proxy Server.
4. In the Proxy Server section, enter the following information:
  • Host: The IP address of your VPN server.
    Port: The port number of your VPN server.
    Protocol: The protocol that your VPN uses.
    Username: Your VPN username.
    Password: Your VPN password.
    Click Apply.
5. Once you have done this, both the torrents and the search requests will be routed through the same network.

ovh game servers[size]
bob2306

Post by bob2306 »

KellyP wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:26 pm Yes, there is a way to route both the torrents and the search requests through the same network. You can do this by using a VPN that supports both torrenting and proxying.

1. Install a VPN that supports both torrenting and proxying.
2. Configure your VPN to route all traffic through the VPN.
3. In qBittorrent, go to Options > Connection > Proxy Server.
If all traffic is routed through the VPN, that includes the searches. So what's the point of the proxy?
bob2306

Post by bob2306 »

I'm guessing the OP is using this approach, or something similar:

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... t-X-server

where the OS isn't routing general traffic through the VPN, and you rely on qBittorrent to do the right thing.

Searches are relatively inconsequential, but if I were relying on qBittorrent to protect me against hefty legal claims, I'd be very worried by anything at all going straight to the internet.
XWRed5

Post by XWRed5 »

Yes, I think I'm misunderstanding how qBittorrent is connecting to the internet for searches.

The VPN runs as a seperate service and I connect to it by specifying the interface tun** in the settings, advanced, network interfaces.

The search connections don't appear to go through this interface.

I have a proxy server (also connected to a VPN - usually used for something different) that I connect to (as KellyP suggested). This partially works but seems to route all traffic through the VPN (big tick) but it doesn't seem to support port forwarding (possibly my simple proxy server) so the torrent traffic doesn't work (I get no DHT nodes and an amber or red symbol in the status bar).

I was hoping there was a way to route the search traffic through the tun** interface as that seems to work well. It sounds like I've just got a peculiar setup and it won't quite work for me.

I'll live, I can source torrents from somewhere else, but I always thought it was a nice addition...