Binding VPN to QBit

Windows specific questions, problems.
snausages

Binding VPN to QBit

Post by snausages »

Hello fellow "humans":

I hope my message finds you and your loved ones well.

I am using Private Internet Access (PIA) at the moment. Indeed, even now, I am in London writing this message. OR SO IT WOULD APPEAR.

I'm having difficulty with the settings of QBit in terms of telling it "Hey, only do stuff if I'm connected via the VPN." Here's what I see when I look at the settings:

https://imgur.com/a/b6SXRir

Might anyone be able to explain to a four year-old how this is meant to work?

Thank you so much friends--and have the best year yet!

Quite sincerely,

S.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Binding VPN to QBit

Post by Peter »

Close qBittorrent. Go into PIA's client settings and look for protocol. Switch it around, OpenVPN usually works. Now open qBittorrent and you should have an interface you can bind to.

Basically some VPN "protocols" have a new interface, some don't. That's the reason.

Bit of FAQ:

What's a protocol? It's like a language your computer uses to communicate with the VPN server.
Does it compromise security? Not really, providers don't really include unsafe protocols. For example OpenVPN is just as safe as Wireguard.
Is it slower? Theoretically, Wireguard is very fast. But we are talking about 10, 50, 100 gigabit/s speeds. Not your torrent speeds. So again, you won't see any difference.
So why include so many protocols? Normally, because some places, countries, companies block some VPNs. So if that happens, you can just fiddle with the settings to find one that works for you.

Hope that helps!