Chitter Chatter

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
northeasters68

Chitter Chatter

Post by northeasters68 »

Any of you guys ever read Animal Farm? I just started the book and I already like it, so I took a copy home. To be honest, I like shorter books because they can establish such a clear narrative in a "small" amount of time :)

I feel like people have a very interesting tendency to dismiss shorter books because they aren't worth the read, but that's of course just my thinking!! ^-^ Bring back old ideologies and see what happens...
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Chitter Chatter

Post by Peter »

It's a classic book by Orwell nevertheless.

Yeah but reading is "hard".

Physical books: I don't like physical books because I can't read them at dim light, I have to take good care of them, they can be physically destroyed, they can be lost, etc. It's just very tedious and not many can withstand actual reading. Ie.: pages can start falling out
Ebooks: I much prefer having ebooks but I hate the DRM that comes with it.
Reading the ebooks: Finding the perfect ebook reader is also a challenge. Kindles are cool I guess but are they really ergonomic? Phone is comfy but forget PDF scans. Honestly, just using my computer and reading on it seems like the best for my body.
Audiobooks: are cool but I feel like it requires the same attention as reading so not much better I guess. It's OK on the road if you are like a trucker or you do long distances.. but it does require more 'brain power' so not really good for busy roads for example in my opinion.
Blinkist: I also tried this "Blinkist" service just because why not but it's very underwhelming. The content is just super lacking, almost all the books I was interested in ... are simply missing. Some have these weird audio effects and even some distracting music added which is just super weird.

It is what it is. :)
harryb382003

Post by harryb382003 »

Animal Farm is a personal favorite. I have it as a 2 in 1 book with 1984.

As for Ebooks, I have yet to bring myself to buy one due to DRM and the fact that I like physical books, preferably hardcovers.

Pete, you now you you can get clip-on LED book lamps ;)
northeasters68

Post by northeasters68 »

No way, I definitely gotta get one of those :0