newer debian builds?

Linux specific questions, problems.
loki

newer debian builds?

Post by loki »

Is there a newer package of qbittorrent for Debian than 2.9.8? There's been a few versions since then and more than a month since a succeeded version came out.

Or maybe build from source or use ppa... is it recommended to use ppa in debian? Thoughts, suggestions...
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: newer debian builds?

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I am also wondering the same thing. Libtorrent 0.16 isn't packaged too. Maybe the maintainer is busy...

Since I am doing the windows builds too and have the code lying around I did a quick linux build of qbt 2.9.11+libtorrent 0.16.1. It seems to run fine, but it is a "quick fix". I want a proper deb package from the official repos. (with libtorrent 0.16 ofcourse)
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

[quote="loki"]
Is there a newer package of qbittorrent for Debian than 2.9.8? There's been a few versions since then and more than a month since a succeeded version came out.

Or maybe build from source or use ppa... is it recommended to use ppa in debian? Thoughts, suggestions...
[/quote]

It's not recommended to use the PPA, as Debian got older packages.
I can try to package a new build. But it will take like ... 1-2 days. So please be patient.

(So if I understand you correctly, you need a Debian Squeeze and a Wheezy binary .deb for i386 and x86_64. Correct me if I'm wrong.)
loki

Post by loki »

I used this http://blog.anantshri.info/howto-add-ppa-in-debian/

I'm sure at some point it may break something, dependencies being what they are and such... all I changed was make the script auto-point to oneiric (it was previously pointing to lucid and that ppa had an even older package). Going from previous package installed from debian repos all it had to update was qbittorrent and libtorrent.
From looking more closely at the ppa choices I probably should point it to lucid or maverick (https://launchpad.net/~surfernsk/+archi ... t-software) with 2.9.11... these however are not built directly from Christophe DUMEZ. (That shouldn't matter.)

Anyway, at this point I was more or less just testing out the RC's under linux... the only way I currently can. I don't strictly use qbittorrent on linux but I like that it's there if I ever need to use it. If you decide to build a deb for the squeeze and wheezy don't put it too high on your priorities just for me. I don't know as even the ppa has x86_64 but yeah my debian is pointing to testing (currently wheezy) and it is x86_64.

As a sidenote I noticed wheezy has been frozen as of June 30th... weather it truly is or not I don't know but I've been seeing lots more than usual amount of updates this last week or so prompting me to investigate some.
loki

Post by loki »

Spoke too soon on this, I cleaned up some older packages... I think it was the auto-remove actually. Now it refuses to install 2.9.11 or any 3.0RC for broken dependencies. Notably libboost-system (greater than-equal to) 1.49.1 which 1.49.0 is the latest available. I assume this could be solved by grabbing boost 1.50 from sid. Main question is, why does it depend newer build?

This is probably the sole reason why qB is held back at 2.9.8 or libtorrent at 0.15.

1.50 didn't work either, for some reason the newer libtorrent requires exactly version 1.49.1... I'm giving up for now.
Last edited by loki on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Post by loki »

Sorry to bring this post back but is it acceptable to email the Debian maintainer and maybe ask them if they would build a more recent version, or if there is specific reason why they have not built a more recent version?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

@loki: Just leave the thread it's dead.
In Debian you can just install new packages via apt-pinning. Or use OpenSUSE's build system. Both works.
(But you should not expect new packages in Stable or Testing. Don't ask me about their policy. It's like they work with wine and import only old stuff.)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

@loki have you contacted the Debian maintainer? Did you get a reply?
loki

Post by loki »

I have not emailed, took it as Debian being Debian.
I assume THE way to do it on Debian would be to build from source. I doubt I would even attempt this myself I'd probably screw the whole system not to mention having to also compile all the dependencies, which I envision would really suck especially if something doesn't go just perfect.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Compiling Qt and etc for the whole system..hah.