Force Start

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
sammael

Force Start

Post by sammael »

Hello, since utorrent turned to advertisement ridden PoS with latest update I switched to qbittorrent. Everything works awesome and some stuff even more intuitive than in utorrent.

But, there is no "Force Start" option anywhere. There is one thread on the forums, which is 1 year old with this same suggestion,and only one reply it has is unhelpful as it suggest doing something "Force Start" is not about.

Let me explain on an example. I seed around 30 torrents on a private tracker. Along that I download many other torrents form many other trackers. I do not really care about ratio on the public torrents hence the existing queue management in qbittorrent works ok.

Then I have my 30 torrents labelled with special label, and I want to explicitly set those to "Force Start", i.e. I do not want to disable the queue as suggested in the year old suggestion about Force Start. I want the torrents I select to be forcifully kept in seeding state regardless of other torrents which continue to obey queue rules. You see, some of those torrents are not downloaded even once in a week and on some of them i'm the only seed. Then when someone comes and wants to d/l my torrent he can;t because according to default queue management in qbittorrent it will be not active but queued, rendering me as "not-seeding" on the tracker statistic page.

Force Start is included in every single torrent client I ever used be it on Windows on Linux boxes (transmission, azureus, deluge, ktorrent, utorrent, bittorent, etc) and as such I consider major oversight not including it in qbittorrent.

I hope the fact this is my first post won't make it go unnoticed (satisfied with all other options I have nothing to post about). I also hope to get clear answer on this matter as I think I explained the concept of "Force Start" clearly, not a workaround, or a suggestion to turn off queue management. Lay it on me, say "Yes we will add it in future", or "No we will not include it, because..." I can take it, just please don't give me the PR talk:)
Last edited by sammael on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boogiepop

Re: Force Start

Post by boogiepop »

+1
This is the only feature I miss from other torrent clients that is keeping me from switching to qBittorrent for good.
And before anyone says to disable Torrent Queueing in the options: they are not the same thing, at all.
Last edited by boogiepop on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I guess this feature would be simple to implement.

Did you guys check the Github bugtracker? (see the headline.. or if it's not there, F5 a few times.)
atibotfun

Post by atibotfun »

Please, just please! Add this feature in the next version, I switched to qbittorrent from utorrent and I don't understand why it doesn't let you control how you want to seed. I know which torrent I want to seed or not, I shouldn't let qbittorrent to decide. Some trackers are more important than others, such as private trackers. This qbittorrent client keeps seeding what I don't want it to seed, I could pause torrents, but pausing and starting torrents every time you change your mind is very tedious.

We desperately need a "always seed" feature, like utorrents Force start feature. This is the only thing keeping me from enjoying qbittorrent so far, that and the fact that when I uncheck some files it still downloads them, not just a few kb, but some gigabytes of unchecked files from a torrent. But that's another story.

Please add this feature in the next version! I actually signed up here to request this, since it's so important.
Last edited by atibotfun on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.