Low upload speed when seeding

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
vlad-i-mir

Low upload speed when seeding

Post by vlad-i-mir »

Hello everybody!

I made home media server with Mac mini (i7-3615QM, 16 GB RAM, OS X 10.8.3) and LaCie 2Big thunderbolt (raid 0, 2x2TB). Main purpose of this media server is downloading/uploading torrents 24/7/365, share content on my apple TV's, show videos, etc. Also I have 1 Gb/s internet connection FTTB and PC based router with pfsense software. The internet channel is perfect and you can see it below:

Image Image Image 

I tried many torrent-clients, but without any success. For example, utorrent works good, but maximum download speed not exceed 20-30 MB/s. Vuze and deluge work better up to 40 MB/s but with freezes, transmission is better then others but downloading speed also not exceed 50 MB/s and has some issues when downloading 3-5 or 6 torrents in the same time. Last week my friend suggested link to qbittorrent and I downloaded it. I was very surprised and in the same time very glad that qbittorrent client utilizes whole internet channel with speeds up to 100-110 MB/s, also this program works perfect with HDD. You can see screenshot of downloading process in attachment.

But on the next day I was very upsetting when I saw that the uploading speed is terribly low. I have never seen the upload more than 2-3 MB/s when in the same time transmission can seed 13-15 MB/s for easy (also in attachment). I read the forum tried to manage the different preferences, etc, but without any success.

The question is - may be I am wrong and forget to adjust something or what else?
Attachments
02.jpg
02-2.jpg
01.jpg
Last edited by vlad-i-mir on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Re: Low upload speed when seeding

Post by loki »

Did you use the same settings as with Transmission that can upload 15MB/s?

I am unfamiliar with pfsense but did you set qBittorrent to allowed or configured access through?

I also see that while it's downloading you get faster upload (2-3MB/s), then when only uploading it cannot even reach 1MB/s?
vlad-i-mir

Post by vlad-i-mir »

In Transmission client I increased quantity of connections, peers per torrent and wrote forwarding port. That is all. The same for qBittorrent. If it will useful I can post my settings here.
In pfsense settings the same for each torrent client, port is open (I checked it). Also I allowed access in Mac OS firewall for both clients.

Regarding uploading you are right, in case of downloading/uploading in the same time upload speed little bit better - 2-3 MB/s.

Any idea about it?
vlad-i-mir

Post by vlad-i-mir »

Update.

I made a new test with new hot torrent yesterday in the evening.
During the test I tried to download 4 high-rated torrents with qBittorrent and I saw (as usual) high-level download speeds between 60 and 110 MB/s. Very interesting thing that while I downloading files qBittorent showed high-level upload - up to 9 MB/s. But after the downloading finished and client came into upload-mode seeding speed dropped to 1 MB/s. After it I waited 30-40 min, but speed did not increase and nothing succeed.

I switched from qBittorrent to Transmission and after 1-2 minutes of work I saw again 15-20 MB/s upload with the same 4 high-rated torrents, today in the morning I checked the RRD graphs of my router and detected high-level upload from transmission with that files of up to 300 Mb/s (32-35 MB/s).

Till now I don't see another decision as to have two clients - qBittorent for extremely-high downloading and Transmission for high-level upload  ;D
Attachments
?????? ?????? 2013-04-22 ? 22.48.59.png
?????? ?????? 2013-04-22 ? 22.38.17.png
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Suggestion how about increasing the disk cache?
View->Options...->Advanced->disk write cache size . 0 for auto. Even though it says "write" it is actually for both read and write.
vlad-i-mir

Post by vlad-i-mir »

Thank you for your suggestion.
I tried 56, 128, .... up to 2048 MB of disk cache size but without success. But I will try "0".
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

What version of libtorrent does transmission use and what qbittorrent? For qbittorrent go Help->About->Libraries

Also could you post a screenshot of qbittorrent options for these tabs: connection, speed, bittorrent, advanced?

EDIT: Sorry transmission doesn't seem to use libtorrent...
Last edited by sledgehammer_999 on Mon May 06, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vlad-i-mir

Post by vlad-i-mir »

About version of libtorrent I don't know because in "Help" I can't find the "Libraries". You can check this in attachment.
I am sure that I use only the last stable versions of clients.
Attachments
?????? ?????? 2013-05-06 ? 18.02.32.png
vlad-i-mir

Post by vlad-i-mir »

Enclosed Connection and Speed tabs.
Attachments
Speed.png
Connections.png
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

I guess it is different in MacOS. In Windows it looks something like this:

sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

In speed tab enable utp. This should improve even the download speeds, I hope it helps for upload too.
vlad-i-mir

Post by vlad-i-mir »

Enclosed Advanced and Bittorrent sections.

UPD: auto cache size changed nothing. I will try with utp.
Attachments
Bittorrent.png
Advanced.png
vlad-i-mir

Post by vlad-i-mir »

UPD: uTp increased little bit upload speed, I think, because connected more peers with this protocol. But reduced download speed.
So Transmission still faster, more faster with upload speeds. I am still searching for decision.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

It is a bit counter-intuitive that utp decreased download speeds!
Btw, are you sure that your router/connection can handle 250 half-open connections?
vlad-i-mir

Post by vlad-i-mir »

Thank you for reporting back.
Yes I am sure because of 2 things.

First - my router is PC-based with pfsense freebsd software on motherboard ZOTAC Z68-ITX with Intel Celeron G530, 2x2.4 GHz and 2x2 GB RAM. My channel is fiber with 1G and I tested it for "connections quantity".
Up to 1-2 k connections in the same time is not a problem, even 4k. Router CPU Load - < 35-40%. I can see it from table of connections in my router software.

Second - Transmission client. Yesterday I saw upload speed up to 32 MB/s with the same settings and with 105 torrents online in the same time.
Also yesterday I switched Transmission cache size to 512 MB and I saw download speeds up to 700 Mbit/s. So may be after 1-2 days of testing I will decide what to do and qBitorrent with this thread
will have no sense for me.
Last edited by vlad-i-mir on Wed May 08, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.