Poor DL on super-mega-well-seeded-torrents in lt?

Other platforms, generic questions.
Dayman

Poor DL on super-mega-well-seeded-torrents in lt?

Post by Dayman »

Just asking if anybody had similar issues (see screenshot).
As you can see I'm chocked on all fronts. This always happens on exceptionally well-seeded torrents (around 100K in swarm as you can see). One would expect speed to sky rocket, but it just crawls at very slow speeds (max was around 150 KiB/s; my ISP limit is 70 Mb/s aka 8.75 MiB/s)

Limits are: 25 conn./torrent, 250 conn/global, 20 half-open
Attachments
chocked.png
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Poor DL on super-mega-well-seeded-torrents in lt?

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

There have been similar reports recently. I cant remember where I saw them. I think most of them are here in the forums (check all the OS subcategories and generic). Some may be in the bug tracker(check networking/performance labels). Also some people reported problems with uploading only ie they downloaded really fast AND while downloading upload speed was high, but when they turned to seeders the upload speed dropped considerably. Maybe these are related.

From my front: I don't have that big of a line. Mine is just 8mbps from which I actually get ~6.4mpbs. I haven't seen any problems. Of course I don't do intensive torrenting either.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Also are you sure that your ISP isn't throttling you? This get be tested with another client, if eg utorrent gets better performance then your line most probably isn't throttled.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

This happens to me every time. And it's not just me, it's all the people in the swarm, seemingly stuck.
You can simply check this "stuff" out on Nyaa torrents for example. Just grab most seeded stuff and you won't get any data.
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

sledgehammer_999 wrote: Also are you sure that your ISP isn't throttling you? This get be tested with another client, if eg utorrent gets better performance then your line most probably isn't throttled.
Never been throttled.

http://www.rasterbar.com/products/libto ... tomization
peer_turnover_interval controls a feature where libtorrent periodically can disconnect the least useful peers in the hope of connecting to better ones. This settings controls the interval of this optimistic disconnect. It defaults to every 5 minutes, and is specified in seconds.
So, basically, I have to wait 5 minutes before the peers chocking me are dropped. Larger the swarm - more time needed to get good peers.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Dayman wrote:
peer_turnover_interval controls a feature where libtorrent periodically can disconnect the least useful peers in the hope of connecting to better ones. This settings controls the interval of this optimistic disconnect. It defaults to every 5 minutes, and is specified in seconds.
So, basically, I have to wait 5 minutes before the peers chocking me are dropped. Larger the swarm - more time needed to get good peers.
If this is the case then higher connection/torrent should mitigate the problem.

My settings for reference(note: I didn't do much investigation on these): global max: 500, connections/torrent:300, half open: 50

(I usually download at most 2 torrents concurrently and never seed. Yeah I am a scumbag leecher :D).
loki

Post by loki »

Yeah a lot more connections per torrent, as long as your router can handle it.

Global 500, per torrent 100, half open 50