Connections Per Torrent Within Client

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Connections Per Torrent Within Client

Post by Nemo »

Hi there,

I already like very much how qBittorrent works right now but here is my first suggestion/idea for qBittorrent ;D. All opinions welcome.

Long time ago when I was using Halite there was an option to set connections per torrent right on the main screen, for example torrent 1 was 50, torrent 2 was 100 and torrent 3 like 25. I know that qBittorrent has almost the same option in the Options menu (which is already good enough) but if you set there to 100 that is being used to all torrents but with this you can change the connections per torrent if you don't want to have 100 connections for that certain torrent. Especially if you have alot of torrents active seeding and downloading in the meanwhile and all the seeding torrents would go up to 100 connections each or higher depending on your settings. If im only seeding without downloading then there is no need for this option cause the main setting will be used. Of course I wanted to hear others too about this :). Its not necessary but handy in my opinion.

Here is a screenshot of Halite off their main page to see what I mean:

Its the small box on the right side ''Torrent Connection Limits''. Instead of this we could have a right click option to change this value for that torrent. Not to forget that Halite was also based on libtorrent.
Last edited by Nemo on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck

Re: Connections Per Torrent Within Client

Post by Switeck »

A question:
Why do you want ''Torrent Connection Limits'' for each torrent?
This could be impossible to manage if you wanted to change 100's of torrents to different individual limits.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Its just an idea really, not ''a must have'' or ''much needed'' option :). I wanted to know others opinion about it. The idea is not to change 100's torrents individual limits of course that would be confusing indeed. But for certain torrents with lower priority (in your opinion, with well seeded and much seeders active torrents) to lower the connection limit lets say to 50 instead of 100. As I said above qBittorrent option is already good enough with high number seeding torrents (currently 149 and counting).
loki

Post by loki »

I think I understand better what you're saying now but I think speed limit would offer more control than peer limit.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

To me, this request is about torrent priority -- giving one torrent more connections and hopefully more download/upload speed as a result.
So as a means to a useful end...it's a decent idea.

As each downloading torrent finishes and starts seeding, I'd want to lower its max connection limit from something like 50-100 down to only 5-20.
No sense staying connected to 50-100 peers anymore if I'm only going to upload to 4-10 at a time and I'm not using strict super seeding. Saves bandwidth.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="Switeck"]
As each downloading torrent finishes and starts seeding, I'd want to lower its max connection limit from something like 50-100 down to only 5-20.
No sense staying connected to 50-100 peers anymore if I'm only going to upload to 4-10 at a time and I'm not using strict super seeding. Saves bandwidth.
[/quote]

Thats exactly what I mean :). Especially with popular torrents where alot of seeders and leechers are active.
Last edited by Nemo on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Yes, although I'd go so far as say this is true for all seeding torrents.
A seeding torrent shouldn't be consuming lots of download bandwidth (at least relative to its upload amounts), nor need to connect to seeds, nor need to stay connected to lots of peers at once.
A seeding torrent can run ok with a max connections limit of only 10. That's so low it's almost silly for a downloading torrent, unless upload speed and possibly download speed too were <10 KiB/sec.
It's like the exact opposite goals of a downloading torrent...but most BitTorrent clients give both the same default settings.

Other BT clients have priority controls for torrents.
They often do so by giving a greater percentage of the total upload speed and total upload slots to "high" priority torrents, which may have no effect on download speed of overseeded torrents -- the very torrents "hogging" your bandwidth!

Torrent priority controls could easily get so complex and unworkable that even the developers don't fully understand how they interact. (See Vuze for an example.)
Another form of torrent priority is sequential downloading of the torrent's files and pieces. This too can serve to reduce the torrent's download speed and increase the rarity of pieces only seeds have, as many seeds are set to leave after they upload 100-200% of the torrent's size even if that means doing the first part of the torrent many times over. Tixati combines "regular" torrent priority (9 different levels in fact) with "sequential, on/off/aggressive" and "front and back first". Seems too much to adjust and setting highest priority on 1 torrent may mean every other torrent's upload slots run at <0.5 KiB/sec resulting in lots of BT clients auto-snubbing yours!