Fedora 17 - qbittorrent process will not terminate when GUI is closed

Linux specific questions, problems.
arjones85

Fedora 17 - qbittorrent process will not terminate when GUI is closed

Post by arjones85 »

Hi all,

I have an issue with Fedora 17 and qbittorrent 3.0.10 (latest version available in the repo) where if I click the "X" in the GUI window, the GUI closes but the process remains open in the background. I have to do a "kill -9" on the pid to get it to terminate.

I have been all through the settings and make sure minimize on close and any other options that seemed to be similar to that were unchecked.

Is this a known issue? How can I troubleshoot this to get qtorrent to close when the X is clicked?

Thanks for the help!
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fedora 17 - qbittorrent process will not terminate when GUI is closed

Post by Peter »

Try running it from a terminal.
Then click X, and tell us what your terminal shows.

Maybe that will tell us more.
arjones85

Post by arjones85 »

Hi,

Thanks for the help! I don't have access to the machine right now that was showing this issue, but I did install FC 17 on a VM and tried it. I was unable to replicate the issue (strangely enough).

Once I gain access to the troubled machine again I'll try that.
arjones85

Post by arjones85 »

Hi,

I was able to replicate the issue again on the original machine consistently. Running the process from terminal did not give any output. I did get an strace of the process though when closing the GUI and it hanging. Attached is a screenshot.
Attachments
Capture98.PNG
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I am not good with linux debuging tools(or any debugging tools whatsoever), so I am shooting in the dark here:

When it hangs try to pull out the ethernet plug or switch off your wifi card and see what happens. Will it terminate?

EDIT: Why not copy-paste the strace output?
arjones85

Post by arjones85 »

That's going to require being physically at the machine - I only have remote access to it via Teamviewer (no easy SSH access at this time). Physical access will be a couple weeks down the road. Same goes with copy/paste, Teamviewer for Linux doesn't do shared clipboards unfortunately.

Do you have any other possible debugging options I could try that wouldn't require physical access to the machine? Does qbittorrent have a hidden "--verbose" option or something similar I could use to see what the process is waiting on?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Unfortunately I have no idea how to debug this.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Paste output to pastebin and just copy the url by hand?
Btw why Fedora 17? We are on 19 now...
arjones85

Post by arjones85 »

This machine is for a family member and deluge seems to be working fine.

Using Fedora 17 because I don't like updating just for the sake of updating :). Everything else works great.

Eventually when the machine is updated I will try qbittorrent again, given that I can't replicate this in a VM I'm sure there's something weird with the machine itself.

Thanks for the help!
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

You could always just use an Ubuntu LTS or Debian Wheezy for example. Heck, even CentOS is a great choice. Though, you will have tom compile your qBittorrent on these, except for Ubuntu LTS.
If you copy down the packages you installed, and the config files you have, it takes like 2-3 hours only to migrate.

What you need:
- Configs, user related begins with a . (dot) in their home folder. (If you have Nautilus, CTRL+H reveals hidden files. 'mc' also shows them.)
- Configs, global: /etc folder. It's easier to backup the whole folder here, as there is nothing big in there. And when you need a config, you just grab it out of the backup.
(See this: http://www.aboutdebian.com/tar-backup.htm)
- The packages you have installed: "$ rpm -qa > ~/installedpackages.txt"

As a sidenote, you should also make a txt for yourself about the apps. Because the name of all the libs won't make it easier for you to find the right application.
(Yeah, I know you don't want to migrate instantly. I'm just bored, sorry.)