Embedded Tracker

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
kerik

Embedded Tracker

Post by kerik »

Hi, Just started using qBittorrent after uTorrent decided to install software on my machine that I didn't want. It looks great and it's downloading from tracker sites perfectly.

I am having trouble using the embedded tracker though. I have followed the guides and set up my router to port to my machine, I got a positive reply from the canyouseeme website.

I have created a torrent and announced it, sent the torrent to a friend by email but his client just says "connecting" and qBittorrent says that the torrent is either stalled or not working.

Please help.
kerik

Re: Embedded Tracker

Post by kerik »

Update: I changed my Outgoing Ports (Min) to 3000 and Outgoing Ports (Max) to 3000 and the tracker status is now working however my friend still cannot download.
loki

Post by loki »

When you created the torrent you set the tracker url as your IP address plus embedded tracker port? Not a local address but as example http://192.168.100.1:9000 (or embedded tracker port)
kerik

Post by kerik »

No the URL was - http://128.204.246.108:/9000/announce however I think I've found the problem. My external IP address keeps changing without me restarting my machine. I guess my ISP uses different servers at different times. Because of this using an embedded tracker will be impossible. Thanks very much for the reply though.
kerik

Post by kerik »

Sorry URL was - http://128.204.246.108:9000/announce

No fwd slash after the colon.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

My external IP address keeps changing without me restarting my machine. I guess my ISP uses different servers at different times.
Then just register a noip.com domain. It's free and it comes with a utility program that automatically updates the IP on your domain. Then all you have to do is something like "mytracker.noip.com:9000/announce".

PS: Not sure if the "announce" should be part of the tracker string for qbittorrent.
kerik

Post by kerik »

Thought about doing that but I'm based in the middle east and it's not that easy unless you're a registered business.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Are sure that noip.com has such limitations? I don't think so.

Note: With noip.com you actually get a "subdomain" on their domain(noip.com and others). So you don't actually register a domain with a registrar authority. Services, such as noip.com are called DDNS and widely used by users you want to run a server on their homecomputers on their dynamic ip (a bt tracker is a form of server too).
kerik

Post by kerik »

OK will try it. I'm away for a few weeks on vacation now but I'll get back to you
loki

Post by loki »

That brings up another point, though I doubt is the problem you face... most ISP's for home internet or "non-business packages" technically don't allow you to run a server or website off your/their internet access point.

They likely would not block you from such a feature if not at first but most clauses I've seen in the technical details in user agreement have this.