Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Windows specific questions, problems.

Do you think qBittorrent's UI needs considerable improvement?

Yes, it needs a complete overhaul.
36%
No, just minor fixes.
53%
No, keep it as is.
11%

Total votes: 110

sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

@Ryrunz if you click the currently selected button(toggle it) the window shrinks.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]About deluge: It has nothing to do with qt/gtk+/other ui toolkit. It is slow because it uses libtorrent 0.15.x series which don't support utp connections. And I think the same goes for halite.[/quote]

I think he meant that Deluge is slow in terms of how sluggish the UI is due to gtk performance on Windows, not in terms of connection performance.
phrostbyte

Post by phrostbyte »

Yea that's what I meant... the software itself feels slow, not the transfer speeds.
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

Leave the basic design as it is, but please make the font selectable in size and colour.
I really don't like that dazed grey text on the Transfer page. If I could decide I would make the size a little bigger and the colour much more "blackish".
And it gets even worse with the yellow/orange text for uploading.

when the above is fixed, then it is time to do some fancy artwork, but first thing first.
UsL

Post by UsL »

Making the text more blackish would break compatibility with black background users. Grey works on both white and black.

If anything, make that text follow current OS-theme instead and all will be satisfied.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="jeps"]
Leave the basic design as it is
[/quote]
I disagree. I think it needs to head more of the direction of how Deluge currently looks.
Seedthis

Post by Seedthis »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]About deluge: It has nothing to do with qt/gtk+/other ui toolkit. It is slow because it uses libtorrent 0.15.x series which don't support utp connections. And I think the same goes for halite.[/quote]

I know that your post is a bit old now but just for clarification : Deluge can use libtorrent versions above 0.15.x actually. There's a build of Deluge 1.3.6 bundled with 0.16.8 on their FTP. I've replaced libtorrent.pyd by the 0.16.10 version and it works right. The only downside is that if no one builds python libtorrent for windows after each update then you're screwed if you want the latest version. It's much more flexible on Linux that's for sure.

About the subject, the thing that is really annoying is the color of the text when a torrent is seeding. That bright orange is deconstructing my eyes each i look at it  :'(
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I like how rtorrent/rutorrent looks like, even if its web based. Its very basic but still looks nice to the eye. Since they are also based on libtorrent wouldn't it be easier to get something like this to qBittorrent? Or are these kind of changes limited to Qt or whatever it is? Im not a coder myself so I don't know this :).

Few screenshots, if you need more just Google:
http://prohardver.hu/dl/upc/2010-11/298613_rtorrent_webui.jpg
http://rutorrent.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/images/scr3_big.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4w4Kq.jpg

As you can see changing the buttons and making few cosmic changes immediatly should improve the GUI in my opinion.

Oftopic: On the 3rd screenshot I see the tracker name (blurred) and nexto it the available seeds and peers. I've asked for something similiar in the past but that wasn't possible. Is this still not possible? Its weird that some libtorrent based clients has this and some not, then again im not a coder :P.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="Nemo"]
I like how rtorrent/rutorrent looks like, even if its web based. Its very basic but still looks nice to the eye. Since they are also based on libtorrent wouldn't it be easier to get something like this to qBittorrent? Or are these kind of changes limited to Qt or whatever it is? Im not a coder myself so I don't know this :).[/quote]
I wish qBittorrent looked more like that.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Grab QtCreator, grab qBittorrent's source and the deps...
Happy hacking! :)
Seedthis

Post by Seedthis »

[quote="Nemo"]
I like how rtorrent/rutorrent looks like, even if its web based. Its very basic but still looks nice to the eye. Since they are also based on libtorrent wouldn't it be easier to get something like this to qBittorrent? Or are these kind of changes limited to Qt or whatever it is? Im not a coder myself so I don't know this :).

Oftopic: On the 3rd screenshot I see the tracker name (blurred) and nexto it the available seeds and peers. I've asked for something similiar in the past but that wasn't possible. Is this still not possible? Its weird that some libtorrent based clients has this and some not, then again im not a coder :P.
[/quote]

Well i'm not a dev but on Linux at least, the appearance of qBt will change depending on the theme you're using. If you have a custom theme on Windows, it can also modify the looks a bit. There are themes for Qt though (like plastique, clearlooks etc.) but qBt doesn't include any.

Offtopic answer : actually, next to the tracker name in ruTorrent, you see the number of torrents for each tracker  ;). I know that Deluge and Transmission have this feature. I wonder why this wouldn't be possible in qBt. We'll have to ask Sledge i guess.
Starshine

Post by Starshine »

I would like qbittorrent to have those cute little icons for each site, that Deluge has.

Also it would be nice to be able to auto label torrents based on the tracker URL.
chungkid1

Post by chungkid1 »

My only quirk with qBittorrent's UI is the sorting of torrents.
My preferred way to sort torrent is by priority. Things look fine when the torrents are downloading, but when they finish, everything is a mess because they don't have priority.
In uTorrent, when I sort by priority, after the torrent finished downloading, they are sort by status, seeding torrents are on top, stopped torrents follow. Then those torrents are sorted once more, by name. That 3 level sorting is what I miss when moving from uTorrent to qBittorrent.
It would be great if this can be implemented in the future.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

There isn't a BitTorrent client that has 'priority' (a queue number) on jobs/tasks that are seeding and that includes uTorrent.

[quote]In uTorrent, when I sort by priority, after the torrent finished downloading, they are sort by status, seeding torrents are on top, stopped torrents follow.[/queue]Only if "Status" was the sort order before sorting by priority
ostaxin

Post by ostaxin »

Wow. Almost two years and you're still discussing this. I saw two proposals (changing icons) in this thread that are miles better than the current one. But no, let's keep discussing. I don't get it. I didn't read every post but is there really that much resistance to change the icons (specially the horrible ones under "Torrents")?
Last edited by ostaxin on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.