Priority setting - a small UI request

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
DanielKit

Priority setting - a small UI request

Post by DanielKit »

This might sound like a bit of a nitpick, but when setting the priority of files, I think the order in which priorities appear should be reversed.

Right now it's lowest at the top, highest at the bottom.

It is more natural for the top priority to be at the top and lowest at the bottom.

Also:
It would be really great if there were more than 3 priorities to choose from, like uTorrent's fine-grained priorities, or Vuze's numeric priorities.

Another thing from uTorrent and Vuze: it would be nice if when selecting multiple files, there would be an option to prioritize them automatically by their order. The first selected file gets highest priority, and each additional file gets a lower priority than the previous. This is really only useful if there are more priorities (like in my previous point).
This is similar to the existing "download in sequential order" but allows more control.

What do you think?
Last edited by DanielKit on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: Priority setting - a small UI request

Post by ciaobaby »

It is more natural for the top priority to be at the top and lowest at the bottom.
Not necessarily, in the normal order of things certainly, having priorities in high to low would be 'natural' BUT, for this instance the reverse order makes it more intuitive for a user inteface, where the consideration has to be "What are users most likely to use this for"? And there the answer is:

"To NOT download an item from the list"! Hence that is the first one available from the possible choices.

GUI design is not always about the 'natural order, it has to be about what the end-user would expect  to do next. (Intuitive design)
DanielKit

Re: Priority setting - a small UI request

Post by DanielKit »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Not necessarily, in the normal order of things certainly, having priorities in high to low would be 'natural' BUT, for this instance the reverse order makes it more intuitive for a user inteface, where the consideration has to be "What are users most likely to use this for"? And there the answer is:

"To NOT download an item from the list"! Hence that is the first one available from the possible choices.

GUI design is not always about the 'natural order, it has to be about what the end-user would expect  to do next. (Intuitive design)
[/quote]
I agree that the "don't download" option should be first. My problem is with the priorities that are active.
A user is much more likely to select a higher priority, and not "normal", so your point about ease of access still applies.

Maybe even better is to have "don't download" in as a separate menu item, since it's not exactly a priority, and it's even more accessible than at the top of the submenu

I think either one of these would be an improvement:
Image or Image

... and if support for Vuze style numeric priorities is ever added: