Desktop UI (QT) to connect to local/remote nox instance?

Linux specific questions, problems.
bmn

Desktop UI (QT) to connect to local/remote nox instance?

Post by bmn »

Is it possible? If not, how about implementing that feature?

The Web-UI is not as good as the full desktop UI, because it lacks features that the desktop UI has. But I do not always need to watch the desktop UI and the desktop UI consumes a lot of system resources. It would be great if only Nox (headless Qbittorrent) keeps running all the time, and I start the desktop UI only when I need it and then close the desktop UI to save resources. I believe some other clients, I don't remember exactly but Deluge or something, work this way? So, I think it is not a weird concept.
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Desktop UI (QT) to connect to local/remote nox instance?

Post by unseen19 »

Hi,

This is fully possible in Deluge (client/server model) but not with QBT. To get rid of the same issue my workaround was to use a full desktop OS on the device (Ubuntu desktop) with RealVNC enabled. I have so either RealVNC with full interface or WebUI access depending my need.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

You can use... (depending on host/client)

- Full VNC setup. I just use TurboVNC, if I need a full desktop. Also gives me access to extra tools, file manager, etc. Comfy.
- Xrdp. Kinda the same thing but you use Remote Desktop on your PC to connect.
- X forward via SSH. You need a local X server but it's nothing super hard to set up.
But why can you do this in Deluge? Transmission? rTorrent?
Because they use a so-called RPC protocol. The GUI you get with this software is just "remote controllers" that connect to the local instance of the software. qBittorrent was not built like that. Because of that, qBittorrent has way more features compared to those clients. But, it's worse when it comes to "remote-controlled applications". (minus webUI). pros and cons I guess.
bmn

Post by bmn »

Peter wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:24 am Because they use a so-called RPC protocol. ... pros and cons I guess.
Should QBT's not using RPC be the inherent limitation why its desktop UI cannot connect to another instance (i.e., NOX on the same machine)? I now know that it is currently not possible from your replies, but to me, it seems more like this is due to the incompleteness of the WebUI API. If the WebUI API exposed all the necessary functions that are needed for the desktop UI, can't it connect to another instance using the WebUI API and display things like the current desktop UI does?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

The WebUI does a lot indeed. People would just need to develop a desktop interface with any desktop GUI toolkit, that would rely on WebAPI.
Just like RPC, it'd be slower and less flexible. So it would have less features.

That's why it's not the main interface basically.
But, you are more than welcome to create one.