please push updates thru the program not via website

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
kkbb112

please push updates thru the program not via website

Post by kkbb112 »

Hi everyone
please for the love of god. have the updates go through the program.
Im literally burned out on updating to new versions. its great that you push updates so often, but having to go to website, click, reinstall the whole damn thing. just burns you out. especially when an update is pushed sometimes weekly

keep up good work. but please. have the program update itself. no more install containers for updates.!!! it also uses more bandwidth.
you would use much less if you just had the program update itself.

love you
xx
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: please push updates thru the program not via website

Post by Peter »

tl;dr: It's not very feasible financially, unless a project is swimming in cash.
(or they are making profit from premium version/freemium model)

Mainly because qBittorrent's installer is pretty big.

I'm not the project lead, but I don't think FOSSHub provides direct download links.
And you'd need that for direct download.

CDN/Diretc download?
The site shows 132,543,580 downloads.
If we calculate with an average of 40MB, that's over 5 petabytes of data.
Of course this is for all versions.

So basically the project would need to pay for the update bandwidth, which is not cheap, considering how popular qBittorrent is.
If you use CDN like B2 (which is cheap), let's say $0.01 per GB, that's $50,000.

Host it on our own server?
Our server could only maintain 500-1000mbps speeds overall, including the website, etc.
A malicious actor could easily saturate our server bandwidth, bringing it all down. But even legitimate downloads will eat that up in no time. It's normal today for people to have 1000mbps connections at home.

Of course you can buy more bandwidth, but.. a 10gbps servers start from 700$ at OVH for example, they are expensive.
We could limit bandwidth per peer, but they could just connect from multiple IPs. And people would be frustrated with slow speeds.

P2P?
Azureus/Vuze tried this, but it was a hot mess.
I could never update my version this way because it would never download.

So yeah, if anyone has any idea, feel free to post here.
Havor

Post by Havor »

Peter wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:32 pm tl;dr: It's not very feasible financially, unless a project is swimming in cash.
Not saying I have a problem with going to a site to download it there, not really seeing the problem with it, as it updates less than 10 times a year.
And I rather have the dev team develop the program with more useful functions and improvements.

But qBittorrent is a torrent client, could it not be downloaded and then distribute it's self further as a torrent to others?

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work you guys (and girls?) put in.
NeoTechni

Post by NeoTechni »

Agreed. It's a program made to download things, it should be able to download itself!

If it can check for updates, you can post the update as a magnet link and have it get that

Having to do it myself is why I don't update the program very often
raph151515

Post by raph151515 »

The main issue I see is that updates are frequent so each time we need to close the notification or babyseat the install. We could have only critical or major updates pushed as notification or at least not too often. When I choose not to install, next launch asks again with probably the same version, it looks like nagging. Even if it remains external, it can be improved to not seem as spamming.
aliye01

Post by aliye01 »

Hi Guys,Free Fire Name
Certainly, pushing updates through the program is a more seamless and user-friendly approach for users. It ensures that they receive notifications within the application and can easily access and install updates without the need to visit a website separately. This enhances the user experience, simplifies the update process, and increases the likelihood of users staying current with the latest features and security improvements.
AnthonyB

Post by AnthonyB »

I'd also love to see an auto-update process built into the app to make the process easier and more automated.