Question about seeding.

Windows specific questions, problems.
lkm2989

Question about seeding.

Post by lkm2989 »

So I know you need to seed files until at least a 1:1 ratio to give back what you have taken and not be a leecher.
But my laptop doesn't have a lot of space left due to gaming. So say I download a TV series that is over 100gig, I then move it to my external hard drive that I plug into my tv and I delete everything off my laptop.
When you seed things, do you need to keep the files on your computer, or does it do it off the website you got the torrent from? Sorry I don't understand how seeding really works technically, but I want to be able to keep torrenting large files and not keep them on my laptop, but still be able to seed.
lkm2989

Re: Question about seeding.

Post by lkm2989 »

Also I have been seeding something all day and it's ratio is only 0.04, it never seems to go up, idk what I am doing wrong.
Gripweed107

Post by Gripweed107 »

In the most simplistic terms you will be seeding from the folder that you entered in your "Default Save Path" in Options. In theory you can move it to another location after the fact but it gets complicated and I don't believe you are ready for complicated yet.

Without specifically mentioning the name of the site, is this a public or private torrent site? Do they require you to keep a 1:1 ratio or you will be kicked off the site (private)? Or, is it that you just read that it is nice to keep a 1:1 and you want to do that even though they don't require it (public)? The answers to the rest of your questions depend on how you answer the public/private question.
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

Most of the time each files do not have to be ratio 1:1, but your overall ratio must be at least 1.
Regarding you problem, well the way you do it is the limit but as mentioned by @Gripweed107 you'll have to engage some time in it. Not a lot however...

Example:
leave the HDD attached to the laptop, share it on the OS level, and access shared folder (where the file are downloaded) with your TV. If your TV is not share reading capable (with VLC, internal app, etc...) simply add a box able to do it instead of your TV.

There are plenty of solution, the share is one of the less complicated maybe