How should we set the connection limits?

Other platforms, generic questions.
euler

How should we set the connection limits?

Post by euler »

:) The situation is that, sometimes I allow for 2, 3 extra torrents to start because the current torrents are at a slow speed anyways, and my whole network can start to get jammed and nothing can go through, including Amazon or YouTube. :)

So how should we set the following? (the numbers are my settings now)
  • Global maximum number of connections: 280
  • Maximum number of connections per torrent: 60
  • Global maximum number of upload slots: 12
  • Maximum number of upload slots per torrent: 3
I noticed some torrents may only have 5 peers, but some torrents may have 260 peers, so let's say if we have 3 or 6 torrents running, does that mean one torrent can be downloading from 6 peers, but ??? waiting in line for 254 peers, so that's 260 connections right there?

Is the 60 above trying to limit that, so, 6 torrents, and say if each one has 60 connections, then it is 360 connections? Would that jam up the whole Internet provider router?

:) I mean, should we work with a number that is below 200 or 180, if the maximum connections my ISP router can only handle 256 connections or would that be 512 connections or what number is a common number of maximum connections?

:) Is it just more robust if we set it to:
  • Global maximum number of connections: 180
Because besides qbittorrent, we also have Google Chrome with 10 tabs open, iPad, iPhones, and perhaps some Android phones, so we cannot hog all the network resource.

I also have Wireless Router, Wireless Access Point for downstairs, and an Ethernet Gigabit Switch, do the come into play regarding this number?
Advika

Re: How should we set the connection limits?

Post by Advika »

Setting connection limits is essential for managing network resources effectively. The ideal limits depend on your specific use case and network capacity. Here's a general approach:

1.Analyze Network Traffic: Monitor your network to understand its peak usage periods and typical traffic patterns. This data will help you make informed decisions.
2.Consider User Needs: Assess the number of users and their activities. In a corporate environment, employees might need more connections, while a public Wi-Fi hotspot may require limitations to prevent abuse.
YouTube Vanced
3.Bandwidth Allocation: Ensure that your connection limits align with available bandwidth. Overallocation can lead to congestion, while underallocation may leave users frustrated.

4.Security: Limit connections to safeguard against DDoS attacks or unauthorized access, but don't set limits so low that it disrupts legitimate traffic.
5.Regular Adjustment: Network usage evolves, so regularly review and adjust connection limits as needed.

By following these guidelines, you can strike a balance between user satisfaction and network stability.