qBittorrent dries the entire internet even with small bandwidth

Windows specific questions, problems.
qshark

qBittorrent dries the entire internet even with small bandwidth

Post by qshark »

Hi qBittorrent experts, I have an issue that is driving me crazy from days.
I have installed qBittorrent on a new, clean Windows 11 PC. It does the job when it comes to download torrents. However I've noticed that when I'm downloading a torrent, all the other devices have real trouble to load any web page. I have then limited the bandwidth to 100Kb/sec-10Kb/sec (down/up respectively) but no luck.
I've investigated and the only device that is using internet is this PC and from the router the bandwidth consumed match what I see on qbittorrent, so there is no other program, device using the connection.
Doing a speed test I've noticed that is is an intermittent issue, every 2-3 speed tests I get one that is "normal". Or else I get a ping of around 0.5 sec.
I've tried different things that I want to list to explain everything I've tried.

1. Reinstalled qbittorrent, or use a docker distro to try different set ups (windows or containerized in a unix box)
2. Add the PC on a VPN (excluding the other device) to check whether the ISP was throttling me. This has not change anything, which should exclude the ISP as the PC is on the VPN and the other devices are not, and still they see the issue.
3. Tried to pause/unpause the download and every time I pause it I can see all returning back to normal, I resume and back to dried internet
4. I was a qbittorrent user on mac, and as far as I remember I never had issues on the mac.. with the same networking settings I'm using now (I also checked the settings and both PC and MAC are using defaults)

Here's my settings:
1. Have a asus AX86U router (should be able to handle the default max connections of 500)
2. Broadband is a 360Mbit/s download
3. Windows 11 Home with standard clean installation (installed 1-2 month ago)
4. Tried also on a docker container

Did anyone had the same issues? I really don't know what to look after at this stage..
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Re: qBittorrent dries the entire internet even with small bandwidth

Post by unseen19 »

Hi,

What's the CPU usage on the router during a d/l? The number of connections kills as sure as the bandwidth so you may try to reduce the total number in QBT, but I agree the router should be able to handle it.

- Is the router updated?
- Did you tried the QoS enabling to mitigate the problem? If by chance you installed Merlin FW on it, enable FQ_CODEL QoS algorythm (FlexQoS addon) and put the category 'File transfering" at the bottom.
qshark

Re: qBittorrent dries the entire internet even with small bandwidth

Post by qshark »

Thanks for the reply!
CPU during the event is quite ok, not more than 10%.. router is running the latest merlin version.. I've tried with and without QoS but didn't change much (I thought that qos only looks for the transferred band and not number of connections?) Also in qbittorrent there are not so many connections from what I can see..iirc there were 15-20ish..
I'll look into the qos setting you've suggested though!