Torrents are fast for 30-60 seconds, then very slow

Windows specific questions, problems.
Alfalfa

Torrents are fast for 30-60 seconds, then very slow

Post by Alfalfa »

[New information added via Edit] - I downloaded utorrent, it does NOT slow to a crawl the way qBittorrent does as described below. Same system settings for both, no changes to VPN or security settings on the computer. This info points to the problem with qBittorrent being a bug, and yest, I read not to report bugs here, but still not sure if this is a bug with q or not.]

Hard to imagine this being ISP throttling, but sure ACTs like it. I am using a VPN, a well-regarded pay (and not cheap) VPN. My top speed when using the VPN is 80-90 Mbps. My top speed without the VPN is about 700 Mbps. Running Windows 10 and Qbittorrent 4.4.5 (recent update from 4.4.3). I had no problems like this with earlier versions of qbittorrent. And 4.4.5 did download torrents quickly prior to yesterday. Yesterday, each new torrent that is started climbs to high speed fairly quickly (this particular torrent had over 400 seeds and over 400 leechers) reaching 40-80 Mbps. After 45 seconds to 60 seconds at high speed, the DL speed drops into the Kbps or even bps range and stays there forever. If I restart qbittorrent with torrents that were already slowed down, they restart and never show fast DL speeds, staying very slow. If I uninstall qbittorrent, then reinstall it, the active torrents on the next startup will again climb very quickly in speed to 40-80 Mbps, and again, after 45 seconds to 60 seconds, the speed drops precipitously. The size of the downloads range from 1 GB to 100+GB. The target for the download is NAS on Gigabit Ethernet... the 2 NAS units have no drive letters, I use links to directories on the NAS drives to avoid dealing with new drive letter assignments if I have to reboot the network.

Again, lots of use of qbittorrent in the past without this issue (same VPN all the time). I was going to see about uninstalling 4.4.5 and drop back to 4.4.3 since that had been working fine. My ISP is a major US provider X_ _ _ _ _ _. Anything else to try before stepping back to 4.4.3?

[Added via Edit] I am downloading 1 torrent at a time while having these issues with 4.4.5. Files are set to 1 download, 1 upload, 1 active in qBittorrent Options. Unlimited is selected for download and upload speeds (FYI, my upload speeds are about 176 Mbps with 700 Mbps download)
Alfalfa

Re: Torrents are fast for 30-60 seconds, then very slow

Post by Alfalfa »

Running qBittorrent today after running utorrent yesterday and qBittorrent is working fine again. I did NOTHING in terms of settings in qBittorent. It just worked normally again for no reason I understand.
meehoo

Post by meehoo »

same problem with my client, don't know how to fix it
PriitUring

Post by PriitUring »

meehoo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:27 am same problem with my client, don't know how to fix it
There's 6 different official qBittorrent v4.4.5 & v4.5.0beta1 installers for Windows OS which work differently. So try them to see if any improvements or not.

If you prefer qBittorrent with libtorrent v2.0 (RC_2_0 or lt20 in short], then in qBittorrent Advanced Settings you should increase RAM usage limit from low 512 MiB to 30-70% of your RAM, otherwise cache might get full too quickly and slow down downloads and cause excess CPU usage if your HDD or SSD isn't writing files fast enough. Otherwise try newest 64bit qBittorrent with default libtorrent v1.2 and look if disk cache in advanced settings is set to auto or if you had it set a very low value. If using HDD, then make sure Windows Defragmenter is enabled and try to run it.

Doesn't help then maybe something else in your settings isn't the best for your qBittorrent usage.