4.5.0 color scheme is... ugh

Windows specific questions, problems.
duf666

Re: 4.5.0 color scheme is... ugh

Post by duf666 »

duf666 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:21 pm
bbeuchaw wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:50 am The most important thing that changed that I (and a lot of other people, probably) think is bad is that there's no differentiation between an inactive and active seeding torrent now - they're both blue. Should have stayed the way it was - each state has its own color (actively downloading - green, error - red, actively seeding - blue, just sitting there - black, etc.). Actively seeding and inactively seeding are *not* the same state and should not be the same color.
A BIG +1 !

Hoping this will be solved with the 4.5.1 version...
Any news on a corrective 4.5.1 ?
sinneri

Post by sinneri »

duf666 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:11 am Any news on a corrective 4.5.1 ?
Just checked.

I don't see any changes. It's still blinding white. Like opening up a sun every time I launch the program to check torrents. 8)
TomSwiftSenior

Post by TomSwiftSenior »

Well, the change is color with 4.5.1 is NOT the improved I was really hoping for.
The Completed torrents are now a bright PURPLE for me. That certainly stands out.
Downloading torrents are still GREEN.
But the difference between the Seeding torrents and the Forced Seeding torrents is *still* just a very slight difference in BLUE, which is really difficult at least for me to tell apart.
*sigh*
sinneri

Post by sinneri »

Yeah I have no idea who thought this app needed drastic UI color changes, and went for blinding pastel color scheme like the app is for 12 yr old kids. :P

Dear lord, it's 2023, try the Windows black theme at-least.
duf666

Post by duf666 »

sinneri wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:53 pm
duf666 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:11 am Any news on a corrective 4.5.1 ?
Just checked.

I don't see any changes. It's still blinding white. Like opening up a sun every time I launch the program to check torrents. 8)
TomSwiftSenior wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:02 pm Well, the change is color with 4.5.1 is NOT the improved I was really hoping for.
The Completed torrents are now a bright PURPLE for me. That certainly stands out.
Downloading torrents are still GREEN.
But the difference between the Seeding torrents and the Forced Seeding torrents is *still* just a very slight difference in BLUE, which is really difficult at least for me to tell apart.
*sigh*
OK, so let's cross fingers for the 4.5.2
Tabmu

Post by Tabmu »

I use qBittorrent on the default light (white) theme. The blue text should be made a little darker and just change that gash purple text to black.

If different coloured text was easier to read, why aren't all website using it? Stick to simple black and white.
Zoloft

Post by Zoloft »

I wonder what percentage of people who are complaining in this thread have donated to the project? Not a betting man, but I'd guess ZERO
hazardass

Post by hazardass »

I was pretty excited when i got the 4.5.1 update notification. Unfortunately that feeling faded quickly.
I am not noticing any changes and my eyes still bleed at the sight of these light text colors, nor do i see any theme options that an admin said were going to be added in 4.5.1 (screenshot below). Perhaps im missing something? Did they forget to merge the changes in the final public build?
Zoloft wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:55 pm I wonder what percentage of people who are complaining in this thread have donated to the project? Not a betting man, but I'd guess ZERO
Your comment is both useless and irrelevant to the topic. It can only serve to create more unnecessary drama, and the idea that users have to donate in order to post feedback is silly. If your goal is to just provoke or attack users, I ask you to please keep that out of this forum.
Attachments
2023-02-13_110205.png
2023-02-13_110205.png (6.66 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
wazzat

Post by wazzat »

I made an account just for this too.
Why in god's name did you decide to change the UI? It was perfectly fine before and now you just had to throw in some random stuff, like some art project. Reminds me of a mobile app.

K.I.S.S.
kiwichick888

Post by kiwichick888 »

hazardass wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:58 pm I am not noticing any changes, nor do i see any theme options that an admin said were going to be added in 4.5.1. Perhaps im missing something?
Yeah I'm confused too. The changelog says "Re-allow to use icons from system theme" but that's all the info there is. No explanation of how to do it.
hazardass

Post by hazardass »

Well, the change log also said "Revise and fix some text colors", but the tweaks are so minor, they're really difficult to catch.
I'm still willing to give the devs the benefit of the doubt, and I"ll try to spell out the issue, again, this time with visual aids (comparison screenshots below of the latest 3 versions).

In 4.4.5 most the text is readable. There are some issues but for the most part lines with different statuses are easily distinguished. Even colors that are very light, like the light salmon color for Paused and light green for Downloading, are easily distinguished because the base colors are very different (pink vs. green).

In 4.5.0 and 4.5.1 (the two version are almost identical, with one change from a light blue to light purple for Completed torrents which doesn't improve anything), ALL the colors are very light, and also the base colors are very similar - blues, greens, and greys. When you make similar base colors very light, it all becomes one big blur, where the different statuses are difficult to tell apart, which strains the eyes, and the text is unpleasant to look at.

I don't know how else to explain it, and we've tried many times, so at this point maybe the devs should consider just reverting the colors to make things easy. And once again I'd like to remind the devs that in an old test version one of them (sledgehammer) implemented editable colors file. DOes nobody know how it was done back then? That would be unbelievable. It would be really appreciated if a dev can respond about this, even if it's just to say that it can't be done for whatever technical reason. It would also be greatly appreciated if they give us an indication that they understand the issue with the text colors and have considered solutions. We're not talking about a new feature, but an old one, that would allow users to tweak their own colors. Everybody wins, especially when the default colors are so controversial.

Thank you.

_445.png
_445.png (51.99 KiB) Viewed 934 times
_450.png
_450.png (49.31 KiB) Viewed 934 times
_451.png
_451.png (49.37 KiB) Viewed 934 times
nexus2001

Post by nexus2001 »

I agree with everyone, color scheme is really........wow. I do not know if someone sitted there and activated accessibility color contrast while working on color scheme, but WTF? We really need dark mode, without using skins. I tried using several dark skins and I find really on the par with this default theme, only dark. Colors are like shooting RGB lasers into eyes.
Kokkero63

Post by Kokkero63 »

Hello developers! The developers could really pay attention to the comments from the commenters. I completely agree with the comments of nexus2001 and hazardass. You could really pay attention to us!
Kokkero63

Post by Kokkero63 »

All we ask is that you can choose between the old (v4.4.5) and the new interface. Is that such a big ask?
antonidimito

Post by antonidimito »

PicoTorrent will be. Just move to that. No more ugly things. Simple as is.