Can't connect to any trackers, can't seed

Windows specific questions, problems.
nhippie

Can't connect to any trackers, can't seed

Post by nhippie »

Every time I restart my computer, qBittorrent stops connecting to trackers. Right now, it won't connect to a single tracker. If I uninstall qBittorrent, restart, then reinstall, it works again until there is a network hiccup or I restart my computer.

I am using Mullvad VPN, and have a port forwarded. qBittorrent is configured to use the Mullvad forwarded port as its listening port. The network interface is bonded to Mullvad. qBittorrent is allowed through the Windows firewall on both public and private networks. If I use a port checker service to check the open port, it confirms that the port is open. UPnP/NAT-PMP is enabled both in qBittorrent and on my Google Wifi router. DHT is showing 128 nodes (and rising) and the network icon is green and says 'online'. When I try to download Ubuntu ISOs it works fine, and downloads it at high speed.

I am trying to set my system up to seed, but since it can't connect to any trackers it's not really doing a good job at seeding. I can't figure out how to get qBittorrent to work after system hiccups or restarts. Not sure if I'm missing something here, any suggestions?
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Can't connect to any trackers, can't seed

Post by unseen19 »

Hi,

The test with the Ubuntu ISO is a very good start. It d/l AND u/l fine? If so the system is functional.
You mention a port forwarded, why using UPNP then? A possible conflict by using the upnp.
What are the DNS configured? Did you tried 3rd pary ones (cloudflare, google, ...). In some countries it has a big impact on the connectivity level.
nhippie

Post by nhippie »

unseen19 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:29 am Hi,

The test with the Ubuntu ISO is a very good start. It d/l AND u/l fine? If so the system is functional.
You mention a port forwarded, why using UPNP then? A possible conflict by using the upnp.
What are the DNS configured? Did you tried 3rd pary ones (cloudflare, google, ...). In some countries it has a big impact on the connectivity level.
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried disabling UPnP + NAT-PMP in qBittorrent, and also I changed my VPN's DNS to 1.1.1.1. It didn't help the problem though. After I reboot my computer, qBittorrent does not connect to trackers. Every single tracker out of a list of 20 is shown as 'not working'. Messages say 'torrent aborted', 'timed out', 'an attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions'. The program has been running for about 5-10 minutes and DHT is showing '2 nodes'. The network icon at the bottom is green and says 'online'. I tried downloading an Ubuntu ISO and it took a few minutes to connect, two peers, downloading at 6 MiB/s, upload speed is 0 B/s.

When qBittorrent starts misbehaving this way, the only solution I've found so far is to uninstall the software, restart, and then reinstall. Is something getting corrupted in the settings / registry?
nhippie

Post by nhippie »

It's been about 30 minutes since my last post and qBittorrent is now up to 183 nodes on the DHT and I'm seeding a few torrents successfully (fairly high upload speeds).

However, all trackers still show as 'not working'.

I made my own torrent, and I'm trying to download it from an Android device running LibreTorrent, but it won't connect. Whereas after uninstalling, rebooting then reinstalling qBittorrent, the torrent will download on my Android device instantly.
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

putting the VPN out of the way may help. Maybe pause all torrents and keep Ubuntu, Mint, and all official release you can find
Let it run w/o the VPN for a night or similar and check the numbers. If all is right, then the VPN config troubleshooting may be engaged.

Maybe you tried something similar already, but so far I read it seems port forwarding issue or similar on the VPN level. So I just want to confirm the setup behaviour w/o it
nhippie

Post by nhippie »

unseen19 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:44 pm putting the VPN out of the way may help. Maybe pause all torrents and keep Ubuntu, Mint, and all official release you can find
Let it run w/o the VPN for a night or similar and check the numbers. If all is right, then the VPN config troubleshooting may be engaged.

Maybe you tried something similar already, but so far I read it seems port forwarding issue or similar on the VPN level. So I just want to confirm the setup behaviour w/o it
Thanks for your response, unseen19. I finally solved the problem, and your suggestions were key to solving it. qBittorrent now seems to be working perfectly, even after system reboots, which is what I wanted. Once again, thank you so much for your help, I greatly appreciate it. If you're curious to know what the solution was, or anyone else reading this thread years from now, please read on:

Basically, I had two VPNs installed on my system at the same time. Private Internet Access (PIA) and Mullvad. When I uninstalled PIA, everything fell into place and began working perfectly without problems. To read about my troubleshooting method to get to this point, read on:

When unseen19 suggested to get rid of the VPN for the purpose of testing qBittorrent by itself, I uninstalled Mullvad and qBittorrent and restarted my system. qBittorrent, after reinstallation, was working fine, but after a reboot it stopped connecting to trackers and I couldn't seed. So I knew the problem was external to Mullvad. I then realized that even though PIA was not configured to start up at system boot, maybe there was some background process causing problems with qBittorrent. Sure enough, after looking at the processes tab of Task Manager, there was a service running called pia-service.exe. Even though I thought PIA was not doing anything, it had an active process running. This prompted me to completely uninstall PIA, and begin troubleshooting from square one.

I uninstalled qBittorrent, rebooted then reinstalled. It worked right away. Then I rebooted, and qBittorrent still worked perfectly. Then I reinstalled Mullvad, and connected to the VPN. qBittorrent still worked, and even after a reboot it still worked. I then enabled port forwarding on my VPN, configured it in qBittorrent, it worked, and it worked after reboot. I enabled 'Launch at startup', 'Local network sharing', set the VPN protocol to 'Wireguard', and enabled split-tunnelling. After each of these settings changes, I tested qBittorrent, it worked, then I rebooted the system, and it still worked. Then, at the very end, I reinstalled a networking software that I thought had been causing the problems (I've been working on this for a week and a half, scratching my head). qBittorrent still works. Even after reboots.

SEO queries below, so the next person who has my problem can find this solution:
qbittorrent can't connect to trackers
qbittorrent can't seed
qbittorrent no trackers working
qbittorrent trackers not working
qbittorrent trackers not connecting
qbittorrent offline
qbittorrent stops working after reboot
qbittorrent stops working after disconnect
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

glad to see this result, and thank you for the complete and detailed report.
potatochipz123

Post by potatochipz123 »

I removed all traces of PIA (Private Internet Access) with https://github.com/Klocman/Bulk-Crap-Uninstaller, and:

- there was a small PIA service in task manager lingering - that was killed
- network adapter (was disabled) - got deleted
- qbittorent could suddenly reach trackers

Note: I'm using Mullvad, wireguard, ipv4 only. Leftover PIA seemed to be the issue.
Thanks! ;D
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

potatochipz123 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:01 pm I removed all traces of PIA (Private Internet Access) with https://github.com/Klocman/Bulk-Crap-Uninstaller, and:

- there was a small PIA service in task manager lingering - that was killed
- network adapter (was disabled) - got deleted
- qbittorent could suddenly reach trackers

Note: I'm using Mullvad, wireguard, ipv4 only. Leftover PIA seemed to be the issue.
Thanks! ;D
Thank you for reporting back!