Stop torrenting when using certain IP addresses or IP addresses is in certain countries

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
libqman

Stop torrenting when using certain IP addresses or IP addresses is in certain countries

Post by libqman »

Please add a setting to stop torrenting if your IP address is on a whitelist if IP address

And a setting to stop torrenting if your IP address is located in a country that is on a whitelist

These whitelists are in the setting where the user can add/remove IP addresses or countries that are allowed for torrenting. If qBittorrent is not connected with a valid IP address or an IP address in valid country, qBittorrent will stop torrenting.

This is useful for those who use VPNs and the VPN providers allows for port forwarding with a registered port number for the VPN user. This way the users torrent traffic will always be on specific servers or in specific countries.
Jendrej

Re: Stop torrenting when using certain IP addresses or IP addresses is in certain countries

Post by Jendrej »

Select your VPN connection in Settings > Advanced > Network interface. This way, the client will only be active when you're connected via VPN.
libqman

Re: Stop torrenting when using certain IP addresses or IP addresses is in certain countries

Post by libqman »

I do use the Network interface setting, but I do not want to torrent on any VPN IP address.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

libqman wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:55 pm ...
No need.
You can do this in Windows Firewall (or on Linux's firewall, etc.)

Go into Windows Firewall, and you can make a new rule for qBittorrent where you can specify which IP is allowed.
libqman

Post by libqman »

Peter wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:12 am No need.
You can do this in Windows Firewall (or on Linux's firewall, etc.)
My VPN does not allow me to edit the firewall. When I make changes to the system firewall, the VPN will revert these changes on me.
lostcowboy

Post by lostcowboy »

Sounds like you want a blocklist to block certain IP addresses or groups of IP addresses, so you cannot connect to them. These were popular before we really had VPNs to use. Windows XP had a program called PeerBlock. I checked the website is still up, you could load lists into it and it would not let you connect to those IP addresses. This was used to prevent certain companies and governments from getting your IP address if you were trying to download copyright files. The problem is that companies and maybe the governments got very good at renting IP addresses from known good IP addresses. Then VPNs sprang up. Note: in options/ connections, at the bottom, you can still find the place to put the URL of a list. the advantage of the peerBlock program was you could have several lists at once.