Torrent client dedicated to automatically find public torrents with low seeds to boost them

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
p2psurfer

Torrent client dedicated to automatically find public torrents with low seeds to boost them

Post by p2psurfer »

Hello,

I had this idea about a torrent client dedicated to inspect/scrape random torrents from all sorts of public torrent sites and aggregators to find torrents which are less healthy in seeds and seed them long term like an auto/bot seedbox.

Ideally a dedicated folder or partition would be selected to store such torrents.

Is there anything like this?

I guess in terms of content availability and longevity such project would be a great contribution to the p2p world.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Torrent client dedicated to automatically find public torrents with low seeds to boost them

Post by Peter »

Novel idea but.. there are a few flaws.

- Torrents can range from 100% safe and legal to mildly illegal to very illegal. Anyone can make a torrent out of anything. So the bot could get into trouble.
- P2P works by supply & demand. So even if you'd grab the rarest torrent and would seed it for a year, maybe no one would want to download it. And then you'd end up just storing data for no reason. And multiply this by a few and you remain
- Most torrents I've seen throughout my life, where people were trying to download them for days, weeks, months, were like niche old movies and whatnot. Problem is, their speed was not the problem but the only few remaining seeds were always disappearing. So you could not fetch the original content either.

It's ugh. Nice idea but I don't know how you could pull this off.
p2psurfer

Re: Torrent client dedicated to automatically find public torrents with low seeds to boost them

Post by p2psurfer »

The point is to also have some criteria like specific torrent sites, aggregators and categories to select from.

It's quite common to witness several torrents with many 0% leechers and stuck incomplete ones.

If a torrent has been for about 6 months or even 3 without any leecher it can be deemed as something with no relevant demand but this is rarely the case.
Many times when sharing people don't even attempt to use torrents because they know eventually no one is going to seed at some point (even themselves with their personal machine), and then the torrent is probably going to die during this seed gap. The alternative many times is using DDL sites / filehosts, but we all know most of these sites don't last much time and have too many restrictions, the point is to also bypass the need of using such filehosts too.

There are many people these days with gigabit broadband connections who wouldn't mind having some automated seedbox using some old computer parts and a bunch of HDDs. For example in Spain there's already an ISP called DIGI with 10Gbps symmetric plan for like 25€ a month. With such gigabit fiber plans nowadays such project would be a great contribution in order to preserve availability of many contents across the web and also improve speeds in torrents with less seeds / poor bandwidth seeds.

The idea about such mass peering even in regard to content which might even be in a more grey area by chance, I mean most torrent sites have curation and moderation, and don't simply allow themselves to become random content dumpsters. But the thing is the more random peers there are the fewer the judgement there is in regards to what kind of data it is or is not. The highest purpose of such systems is data preservation and widespread availability.

If this specific torrent client has an unique name for itself like "Seed (something)", then people will eventually become aware that it is somewhat of an automated application for seedboxing.
p2psurfer

Post by p2psurfer »

Another thing that also frequently kills demand (obviously), is the lack of decentralized indexers / search engine aggregators that scrape and collect from known torrent sites and trackers, built in in torrent clients themselves.

It always puzzled me why isn't there some sort of decentralized Gnutella network for indexing torrents/magnets and its respective metadata.

Like Tixati search channels, but those channels can be replicated by anyone using the client serving as search nodes, and this searching feature has an API to populate these channels with content (torrents/magnets and possibly descriptions for each).
lostcowboy

Post by lostcowboy »

Not quite like your idea, but if you have a public-domain file you could upload it to archive.org. They will provide trackers, and "web seeds" for the torrent so people can download it even if there are no seeders.
It's quite common to witness several torrents with many 0% leechers and stuck incomplete ones.

If you are a member of something like Real-Debrid, you let it check to see if it has the file, if it does you can download it and place it where your torrent file is trying to download to. then restart the torrent, and do a force recheck of the torrent. when that is done if successful your torrent will start seeding all those leechers and incomplete ones. Everyone will thank you.
It always puzzled me why isn't there some sort of decentralized Gnutella network for indexing torrents/magnets and its respective metadata.
Do you mean like "DHT" https://www.seedboxco.net/knowledgebase ... or-disable