Is qbittorent spyware? (virustotal.com shows ip traffic)

Other platforms, generic questions.
rebe

Is qbittorent spyware? (virustotal.com shows ip traffic)

Post by rebe »

I have test current qbittorent instalation file in virustotal.com and i noticed 9 ip traffic under sandbox "behavior" tab

92.229.211.108:80 (TCP) - telefonica Germany
20.69.140.28:443 (TCP) - microsoft datacenter
20.99.133.109:443 (TCP) - microsoft datacenter
20.99.184.37:443 (TCP) - microsoft datacenter
20.99.185.48:443 (TCP) - microsoft datacenter
20.99.186.246:443 (TCP) - microsoft datacenter
23.216.147.62:443 (TCP) - Akamai datacenter
23.216.147.64:443 (TCP) - Akamai datacenter
23.216.147.76:443 (TCP) - Akamai datacenter

WTF is that???
Zoloft

Re: Is qbittorent spyware? (virustotal.com shows ip traffic)

Post by Zoloft »

It's a program most people use for "illegal" activities. So, many anti-virus programs will mark it as malware. If you downloaded it from the official site, you have nothing to worry about. If you downloaded it anywhere else, 1) WHY? 2) use at your own risk.
rebe

Post by rebe »

Zoloft wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:57 pm It's a program most people use for "illegal" activities. So, many anti-virus programs will mark it as malware. If you downloaded it from the official site, you have nothing to worry about. If you downloaded it anywhere else, 1) WHY? 2) use at your own risk.
im not talking about that. virustotal besides antivirus does virtual machine behavioral analysis. they run installation app in virtual machine and watch what it does. and qbittorent connect to those IP addresses. i am asking why. is it in the source code? is it only in complied program? nobody knows about this?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Virustotal besides antivirus does virtual machine behavioral analysis.
Whaaaaaaaaaat?
:D :D :D

Install it lmao. That would never happen. What you describe is sci-fi fantasy.
You'd need some hella advanced AI to pull this off.
Why?

- What is install? How do you install something? Do you run it? Which exe do you run? Do you run multiple files? Do you close and re-open? Blah blah blah...
- What do you analyze? What the setup does? What the exe does? What it does when you add a torrent?

If what you described would be possible, security researchers would be out of their job. A software is insanely complex and that's why it requires experience, patience, skills, talent to actually find nasty things, vulnerabilities, etc.

Point is...
Virustotal simply puts the exe through a bunch of Anti-Virus products.
And 99% of them are absolute snake-oil garbage.
I don't even know why they include them.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/
https://www.av-test.org/en/
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Peter wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:07 am ...
Feel free to run qBittorrent on a fresh VM or any kind of system and you can see it makes none of those connections.
(There is only DHT network traffic & check for updates.)
bob2306

Post by bob2306 »

Peter wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:07 am
Virustotal besides antivirus does virtual machine behavioral analysis.
Install it lmao. That would never happen. What you describe is sci-fi fantasy.
You'd need some hella advanced AI to pull this off.
It sounds relatively straightforward. In many cases it would simply be a matter of accepting the standard install and the offer to put an icon on the desktop. It's also possible that it's just a cached result of a manual test performed on a file with the same hash.

My suspicion is that the connections include everything made by the Windows VM that the test was running on (presumably on Microsoft Azure) and not just the direct connections to qbittorrent itself.
GoldieArchie

Post by GoldieArchie »

qBittorrent likely connects to those IPs for various non-malicious purposes, such as updates or ads. Use the official source for downloads to minimize potential risks. In my search for affordable yet excellent research paper writing services, I discovered that This https://www.grabmyessay.com/write-my-research-paper site made me say that it is possible to say, “Write my research for me” and get amazing results. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the service I found was. Not only did it fit within my budget, but I was blown away by the quality of the research paper I received. So, for those looking for affordable and excellent research paper writing, it’s more than possible. It’s a reality worth exploring.