Torrents will no longer start downloading through VPN

Windows specific questions, problems.
Bob50

Torrents will no longer start downloading through VPN

Post by Bob50 »

Hey folks. My qBittorrent software was working perfectly but now when I add my magnetic links they will not start downloading with my VPN software (I'm using Avast at the present time) turned on. If I add a torrent with the vpn on it won't start dloading. If I turn off the vpn there is no change but if I delete the torrent file, turn off the vpn and add the torrent file it will start downloading. This started when my software locked last week. I think I was pausing or deleting torrents from my list at the time. After relaunching the software the torrents would no longer download with the vpn on. I've made no changes to the Options and my settings are very basic.

As a side note I received a couple of copyright notifications today and that baffles me. If I start dloading a torrent file for 5 seconds without a vpn running but immediately turn the vpn after it starts dloading should that trigger a copyright violation?

OK, thanks for any help anybody has to offer with this issue.

Thanks,

~ Bob
JohnnyB

Re: Torrents will no longer start downloading through VPN

Post by JohnnyB »

I'm guessing you recently upgraded to version 4.55. I also had the same problem. I reinstalled version 4.54 and everything is working again.
Bob50

Post by Bob50 »

Thanks, but I was actually using an older version when the issue occurred. I updated to the newest version after to see if it would correct the issue but it didn't.

~ Bob
DonSimon76

Post by DonSimon76 »

I'm in the same boat as you. Yesterday was fine. Today? Nada. I'm going to try working with the port forwarding when I can manage to get everybody in the house to get off of the internet for a moment.
DonSimon76

Post by DonSimon76 »

I solved my issue. After tweaking stuff all over the place I decided to try uTorrent to try to identify if qBittorrent was the issue. uTorrent worked fine.
I completely uninstalled qBittorrent, restarted, and then re-installed. Working perfect now.
Dogger55

Post by Dogger55 »

Bob50 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:17 am
As a side note I received a couple of copyright notifications today and that baffles me. If I start dloading a torrent file for 5 seconds without a vpn running but immediately turn the vpn after it starts dloading should that trigger a copyright violation?
I had the same problem. I'd turn off my VPN because the fussbudgets at my bank and pharmacy would refuse to connect. Then I'd start a torrent without it, and get notices.

I solved the problem by specifying my VPN as the Network Interface in Options>Advanced. This prevents qBittorrent from selecting another interface when the VPN is off.

You can locate the correct interface in the Network and Sharing Center. I found it helpful to rename the interface (using Change adapter settings) to something clear, like "PIA VPN Connection".

If you're not sure which interface is correct, close qBittorrent and any other programs that use the VPN. Watch your list of interfaces as you connect and disconnect your VPN. Rename the VPN interface, reopen qBittorrent, and look for the name in Options>Advanced>Network Interface.

Good luck.
Bob50

Post by Bob50 »

Thank you. DonSimon76 and Dogger55. I uninstalled/reinstalled Qbittorent and Avast. It did not correct the issue. I appreciate the information about the advanced settings. I will check those out. I believe it has something to do with the "kill switch" option in my Avast firewall. When I started using Avast I received copyright notices while the software was running. After contacting support they suggested turning the "kill switch" option on. This way if the firewall software loses it's connection to the server at any time it will kill the torrent download. This had been working flawlessly until recently but testing things last night I was able to get torrents to download when turning this setting off. I contacted their support again for help on the issue. There is no reason for the kill switch to kill the connection 100% of the time when using their firewall. Regardless, thank you all for your help and suggestions.

~ Bob
aurumdog

Post by aurumdog »

same problem... got port forwarding up and running - no help... tried what Dogger55 suggested selecting VPN in Options>Advanced>Network Interface - again no joy... ready to try re-installing qBit... just wanted to be part of your thread when someone does work it out --->

not sure what worked, maybe it was Dogger55 suggestion... it just seems that it takes awhile, a long while, before the torrents start coming down (15 min?) ... solution = patience ... the obvious is the most over looked solution...

I take it back; the problem persists... been online with avast support for ages : end result ---> monitor for 24 hrs???
shadcrossless

Post by shadcrossless »

Hi guys,

Same problem here. It started yesterday, I've been using Torguard VPN client combined with QbitTorrent for quite a long time but suddenly I can't download anything when I connect the VPN. I have tried installing several versions 4.6,4.5.5,4.5.4 y 4.5.3, same result.

If I use uTorrent I can download with no issues using my VPN client. I have contacted Torguard support and we have tried several config combinations with no success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
ItWasSooted

Post by ItWasSooted »

Did you upgrade Torguard to v4.8.23?

If so, under settings - Firewall - Uncheck Block LAN traffic.
AndyHenderson

Post by AndyHenderson »

Same here using NordVPN.

Stopping Qbittorrent and restarting allows the torrents to start.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Contact your VPN provider and ask about it.
With Windscribe, I click connect, I start qBittorrent and it works like a charm.
AndyHenderson

Post by AndyHenderson »

Peter wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:16 am Contact your VPN provider and ask about it.
With Windscribe, I click connect, I start qBittorrent and it works like a charm.
Nothing has changed in NordVPN. I just installed a version 4.6.0 of qBitTorrent and the problem started immediately after. Others are reporting the same issue with different VPNs. I don't think it's a NordVPN issue.

Andy
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

AndyHenderson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:41 pm
Peter wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:16 am Contact your VPN provider and ask about it.
Nothing has changed in NordVPN. I just installed a version 4.6.0 of qBitTorrent and the problem started immediately after. Others are reporting the same issue with different VPNs. I don't think it's a NordVPN issue.

Andy
Which protocol are you guys using in the client? I ran Wireguard but I can try others too..
AndyHenderson

Post by AndyHenderson »

Peter wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:42 pm Which protocol are you guys using in the client? I ran Wireguard but I can try others too..
I'm running NordVPN with 'Auto' as the protocol. I suspect that means 'NordLynx'. OpenVPN(TCP) and OpenVPN(UDP) are the alternatives.

I'm connecting to a BT HomeHub2 via Powerline adaptors.

Andy