How does Qbittorrent 4.6+ contribute/use the I2P network

Other platforms, generic questions.
LnZzvCKf

How does Qbittorrent 4.6+ contribute/use the I2P network

Post by LnZzvCKf »

Hello,

Everyone knows now about the 4.6.0 update where I2P support is officially added. (As an I2P user) this is perhaps the most exciting addition to I2P. I hope that this update makes many people join the I2P network, this would really help to strengthen the network and it is just an awesome place.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions regarding this addition and it's implementation.
  • How is the I2P network implemented? (exactly)
  • Does this means that torrents made in I2P (I2Psnarks) can be downloaded via Qbittorrent? (by default?)
  • Does this mean that torrents made in Qbittorrent can be downloaded over the I2P network? (by default?)
  • can i choose what torrents can be converted(?) to I2P and which not? and how do i manage and track I2P torrents exactly?
  • is there a list of I2P specific trackers? there where some on I2psnark but they died bcause the trackers owners quit/dissapeared (the websites are dead to).
  • I2P torrents are anonymous because they are being routed trough other I2P users (somewhat similar to TOR, but every user is a "node") I am assuming that I2P torrents most likely also are getting routed trough regular I2P users. Does Qbittorrent also contribute or compensate for this extra strain/usage on the I2P neztwork?
The I2P network only counts 40.000 active users, suddenly having millions of new I2P torrents could maybe strain and overload the I2P network (every user can only contribute a certain amount of Kb up and down, if every user would suddenly be at its max capacity it would slow down the I2P network drastically! (If and only if Qbittorrent uses the already existing network to hide the origin of / uses I2P to transmit other I2P torrents!)
  • How can someone convert or make a torrent into a I2P torrent?
  • I downloaded and updated Qbittorrent via flatpak (linux) on my PC, where are the I2P settings? are there I2P settings? how can i use I2P in version 4.6.0?
  • could qbittorrent PLEASE add there own I2p router to the application, this would help the I2P network DRASTICALLY and if every i2p torrent gets its own adress people could run there torrent i2p 24/7 and collect i2p torrent adresses while idling (just like how I2P collects website adresses on the I2P network!) this i2p router would then only be used if the i2p setting is turned on it the qbittorrent application, THIS IS TO AVOID LEECHERS THAT USE THE I2P NETWORK WITHOUT CONTRIBUTING! EVERY user should be a contributor to I2P!! This is why I2P is anonymous!
Note, i don't really have a good understanding on how the torrenting system (or I2P network) works, i just try to read and learn about it along the way, this post most likely has a lot of mistakes....
Sadly there isn't really good documentation about the implementation about I2P in Qbittorrent, or i couldn't find any atleast...
LnZzvCKf

Re: How does Qbittorrent 4.6+ contribute/use the I2P network

Post by LnZzvCKf »

this is quite the post...
i am mainly posting this because of lacking documentation and understanding of both I2P, qbittorrent and torrenting in general...

there already exists a way of making and torrenting stuff trough I2P, that happens via the I2P snarks application, this works because the torrent is routed trough other I2P users, thus making it anonymous. however when people use i2psanrks they also contribute to the I2P network...

but if suddenly thousands of people would download torrents owver I2P it would destroy the network as (i assume) these people would not contribute to the I2P network...

again, the reason I2P is anonymous is because EVERYONE who uses I2P contributes to the network, every user routes (encrypted) traffic, every user becomes a tree in the forest, you blend away in the masses...
The only people that know you are USING I2P are your ISP and other I2P users but they CANNOT see what you do, they cant see if you are doing nothing, if you are visiting a website, they cant see what website you visit or if you are torrenting, they can only see that you are in a peer-to-peer connection with someone else...
blob

Post by blob »

I don't have an insight into qBittorrent and libtorrent I2P support development but I can respond to some questions based on my I2P and I2PSnark experience.
  • Does this means that torrents made in I2P (I2Psnarks) can be downloaded via Qbittorrent? (by default?)
  • Does this mean that torrents made in Qbittorrent can be downloaded over the I2P network? (by default?)
This should work. I2P torrents (as in I2PSnarks torrents) are entirely same as regular v1 torrents. The same torrent hash can be used both normally and with I2P. In fact I do cross seed torrents. I seed the torrent normally on QB, then I symlink the download folder and seed the same torrent with the same hash on I2P. It works.
  • can i choose what torrents can be converted(?) to I2P and which not?
There should be no need to convert torrents between networks. It should be more like choosing which network(s) the torrent uses.

Integrating an I2P router into qBittorrent doesn't help beyond ease of use. You connect to an I2P router you have to use the feature anyway. As for overloading the network, if let's say each node has a 1000 KB/s limit configured, then with the default settings of 3 hops, allocating 333 KB/s to torrents should not overload the network. By reducing the tunnel length to 2, 1000 KB/s for the router and 500 KB/s for torrents should work fine. This is assuming the network doesn't have any extra capacity, which it appears to do because my floodfill router almost never reaches the limit I set. Only when I specifically download torrents does it reach such speeds so I know my router can do it if there is a need.

About the address thing. The way the SAM interface works, I'm fairly sure qBittorrent is going to create its own local tunnel (destination address). One I2P router can have many local tunnels (destination addresses). The local tunnels can either set a persistent address (by saving the private key corresponding to it) or a temporary destination that changes every time the local tunnel restarts. I think this anti-leeching measure you're proposing would be easy to circumvent by creating a new anonymous address. That's kinda the point of I2P.

What I would want is an ability to segregate torrents by identity (addresses). Have some torrent use the address A the others address B etc.
when people use i2psanrks they also contribute to the I2P network...
qBittorrent would work exactly the same way. How much you contribute to the network is a matter of I2P router settings.
every user becomes a tree in the forest, you blend away in the masses...
Regular torrent users using I2P instead of VPN would provide excellent "blend away" cover traffic for the network. In a way, we want them to generate high bandwidth usage.
LnZzvCKf

Post by LnZzvCKf »

Thank you for your post.
LnZzvCKf

Post by LnZzvCKf »

RichieKoss wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:58 am Do you still need help?
I think I understand it now better. I think it would be more interesting to have specific I2P related settings and options (speeds, I2P only mode, contributing to the network) in future releases of Qbittorrent.

However if you have more info regarding I2P and/or how it is implemented/works in Qbittorrent feel free to tell us more! The more info is shared the more people can learn and improve I2P and Qbittorrent. :)

thanks anyway

note: I dont remember writing anything about a paper writing service?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

LnZzvCKf wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:38 pm note: I dont remember writing anything about a paper writing service?
It was just a bot. They reply with some generic reply and quote the original comment and insert their scam links.
It's basically SEO boosting.