Strange connections that download about 100x the file size

Other platforms, generic questions.
hess8

Strange connections that download about 100x the file size

Post by hess8 »

In the last couple of weeks I've seen two very strange connections from China. I just happened to see them connected and downloading. The file sizes are about 1 and 12GB. The strange thing about the connections is that one had downloaded about 80x the file size, and the other about 200x, and they were still connected, downloading more. I blocked the first IP last week, and today found the second one connected (and I blocked it). The two different IP addresses only differed in the last 3 digits.

This seems fishy to me because 1) how do they download much more than the file size in one connection? and 2) these aren't even popular files. Am I being hijacked somehow?
hess8

Re: Strange connections that download about 100x the file size

Post by hess8 »

I found a post from a couple weeks ago on Reddit about this practice from China, all using github.com/anacrolix/torrent client.

https://www.reddit.com/r/qBittorrent/co ... ina_peers/

And I got two more of them today.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

If you encounter Chinese peers, I recommend using the Enhanced Edition: https://github.com/c0re100/qBittorrent-Enhanced-Edition
Mind you, this is a fork and it is not whitelisted/approved on private trackers.
This Enhanced Edition is also unrelated to this project. So we can't really help you with it.
bob2306

Post by bob2306 »

I don't know if this is the same thing, or even if it is true, but I have heard it said that some online streaming sites are proxying torrents rather that storing the files locally.