Unofficial 64-bit installer/archive 3.3.x

Testing the freshly baked, latest builds!
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unofficial 64-bit installer/archive 3.3.x

Post by Nemo »

Good to hear.

As I said in that topic:
I think that the 64bit version is ideal for this kind of (heavy) workload.
Hiratasuka

Post by Hiratasuka »

Nemo wrote: Good to hear.

As I said in that topic:
I think that the 64bit version is ideal for this kind of (heavy) workload.
Exactly. The problem is, that's not explained anywhere.

That's why I think it should be clearly stated on the qBitorrent download page that the x86 version is not suited for high speed seeding, and the x64 version should be chosen instead. That would avoid a great deal of trouble for a lot of users, due to the fact that the x86 version of qBitorrent is completely unusable past 100/120Mbps.

Because outside of your suggestion, I haven't seen that stated anywhere. Not on the github page, where this problem is discussed (https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/294), not on the forums, etc.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I shared that idea to have the 64bit version to be shown at the main download page with our team, or atleast redirect to it.
Papanikles

Post by Papanikles »

I agree 100% with official x64 version.
Hiratasuka

Post by Hiratasuka »

2.5TB uploaded since yesterday, 100% stable so far  :)
fusk

Post by fusk »

Ideally, the installer should have both version and automatically install 64bit if a 64bit OS is detected, which in this day and age i assume would be the vast majority.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

The 32bit and 64bit builds use different versions of libtorrent.
The 64bit build is a community build, the 32bit build you get from the http://www.qbittorrent.org/download.php downloads page is the "official" one

I do however agree with you, an "official" 64bit build would be nice.
Hiratasuka

Post by Hiratasuka »

[quote="KitKat"]
The 32bit and 64bit builds use different versions of libtorrent.
The 64bit build is a community build, the 32bit build you get from the http://www.qbittorrent.org/download.php downloads page is the "official" one

I do however agree with you, an "official" 64bit build would be nice.
[/quote]

I would go even further - The x86 version should not even be recommended, because that version of qBitorrent has some huge issues for anyone with a remotely fast connection.
Even before the whole I/O errors and subsequent crashes, I experienced the freezes and crashes like many users (such as the OP) were reporting. When I loaded 600+ torrents and speeds reached 120Mbps+, it started crashing like crazy. It was driving me nuts given the fact I was very limited on my choice of clients (because of some private tracker rules).
I even though I was doing something wrong, but when I saw dozens of users with the same problem as me...

The x64 version is infinitely better. Right now, in my opinion, it's the best torrent client there is, where the x86 was by far the worst client there is.

If the x64 version works with every modern OS and CPU, why shouldn't it be, at the very least, the recommended version of qBitorrent? Right now I'm seeding at 200Mbps with 615 torrents with no problems (and doing that 24/7 for 4 days). That would be impossible with the 32 bit version of qBittorrent.
Is there a reason for it not to be recommended?

Regards.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Both the x86 (32bit) and 64bit versions of qBT have a memory leak. (the libtorrent bug causing this is still being worked on, since it affects Deluge as well)
On 32bit it causes serious crashes if it overruns 2+ GB virtual memory locations. (which is likely with default settings and extremely fast internet connections)
On 64bit, it can result in 2+ GB ram use.

It's actually possible to limit qBT x86 cache size low enough to not trigger crashes and still download at 10 MB/sec speeds.
500-1000 MB total cache size, 600 seconds duration.
Hiratasuka

Post by Hiratasuka »

[quote="Switeck"]
Both the x86 (32bit) and 64bit versions of qBT have a memory leak. (the libtorrent bug causing this is still being worked on, since it affects Deluge as well)
On 32bit it causes serious crashes if it overruns 2+ GB virtual memory locations. (which is likely with default settings and extremely fast internet connections)
[/quote]

The users should be warned at least.
[quote="Switeck"]
On 64bit, it can result in 2+ GB ram use.
[/quote]
Now that I'm using the amazingly good x64 version (Windows), I've seen peaks of 2.8GB in memory usage, but keep in mind that's only when I'm seeding at 200Mbps+ and 600+ torrents (24/7 operation). For me, that's a low memory usage.
On my seedbox (running Ubuntu Server 3.13.0-85-generic/Deluge) with 420 torrents, seeding only at 24Mbps, Deluge is using 1.5GB of RAM...

Since I've installed the x64 version 4 days ago on Windows, I've already uploaded 6TB of data 24/7 without any issues. This client is by far the best performer of any client of any operating system. It's even faster than Deluge on my Seedbox (on Linux) with the high performance seed most of the time (of course, if the seedbox connects to another one, it will be faster, bu anyway). And keep in mind I only use the seedbox for seeding, and I use my Windows Desktop for everything (gaming, SMB server, it's running tons of processes, and so on).
Last edited by Hiratasuka on Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

"The users should be warned at least."

I asked for the bug to be fixed or worked around over 3 years ago:
http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2042.0.html

It was declared "fixed", and work on it was stopped last I heard. It's not supposed to crash at any speed with default settings, but the programmers may not have much chance to test with really fast lines.

If you change the default settings to what I suggested, your speeds should still be able to reach 100 mbit/sec.
Hiratasuka

Post by Hiratasuka »

[quote="Switeck"]
"The users should be warned at least."

I asked for the bug to be fixed or worked around over 3 years ago:
http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2042.0.html

It was declared "fixed", and work on it was stopped last I heard. It's not supposed to crash at any speed with default settings, but the programmers may not have much chance to test with really fast lines.

If you change the default settings to what I suggested, your speeds should still be able to reach 100 mbit/sec.
[/quote]

Hello.

But I don't want the speeds to reach 100Mbps, I want them to go over 200Mbps, and the x64 allows me to do that without any issues, with any settings  ;)

Regards.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

I mentioned 100 mbit/sec because that might be all slow HDDs can do.

I was doing over 100 MB/sec in my EXTREME tests using qBT v86:
index.php/topic,3956.0.html
fusk

Post by fusk »

Even tho they might not be using the same version of libtorrent, i don't see why both version can't be contained within one installer. Or simply use the same version of libtorrent when using a universal installer (i don't know enough about programming, so i'm just guessing). Take a small app like networx, one installer and 2 version within, automatically installing the one that fits your system. I think that would solve many user issues from people running 32bit qbit on a 300+ mbit connection.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

People having issues running 32bit qbit on a 300+ mbit connection should be fixed.
A workaround till then could be to not allow qBT to use more than 1000 MB for cache even when cache is set to automatic.
Far as I know, that's the only show-stopper that the 32bit version has that the 64bit version doesn't...however the 64bit version can waste over 1 GB ram (using >5.5 GB total) if its cache grows large enough.