Configuration Assistan

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
manolito74

Configuration Assistan

Post by manolito74 »

Hellow,

I would like to suggest include a Configuration Assistant. I mean... the first time you install qBittorrent could be a good idea to execute a Configuration Assitant in order to configure the Program according your preferences and mainly according to your Speed Connection (Adsl, FTTH, Cable, updown speed, download speed, etc), anc toher parameters.

Thanks ;-)

Regards.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Configuration Assistan

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

It is already proposed somewhere in the bug tracker. I am not particularly fond of such a feature. It is hard to get it right. At most it will be "good enough for the average user". Moreover, people will complain "I used your configuration guide but it doesn't make optimal changes" etc.

There are quite a few online assistants for this. The best is for the user to manually test the settings for his router/isp setup. eg adsl lines from diffreent isps or in different regions may behave differently. or same adsl line with different router cheap/expensive may support different network loads.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

qBittorrent's default settings is a good start but here is another alternative. Try this: put your upload speed here: http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html and configure the rest within qBittorrent. From there you can tweak slowly what you like, if you want and if you know what you're doing (if not don't change everything to anything, very important). More connections not neccessary mean more speed, infact things can get slower than you're used to it.
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

qBT's default settings have issues which precludes me from recommending them as a good starting point.

1.Default of port 6881? ...many ISPs block or throttle that.
2.500 global connections max? Lots of networking will run into problems with that!
3.100 connections per torrent? Even for seeds that only upload to 4 (upload slots) people at a time?!
4.50 KB/sec default max upload speed?  That's not balanced with the other settings, and likely won't match the average user's line.
5.50 max half open connections?! Nevermind that certain Windows OSes limit to 10, 50 is insane/excessive unless you're trying to connect to 100's of torrents at once on a 100 mbit/sec or faster direct fiber optic line on a very powerful server computer.
6.qBT v3.0.8 and v3.0.9 (and perhaps earlier!) refuses to use more than 8-10 GLOBAL upload slots. This makes it less-than-optimal on a fast line with >200 KiB/sec upload speed and potentially crippled beyond ~1000 KiB/sec upload.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

The port is default. Default is default. HTTP is 80 by default. HTTPS is 443. You can't change that.
You can suggest that people change it. Like putting a blue icon there or something.

2. Agreed. We need to reduce that to 100 or so.
3. Agreed.
4. Especially agreed.
5. Agreed.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

1.Historically, incoming port for BitTorrent was from 6881-6900 ...however that was a convention rather than a BEP mandated default from what I understand.

6.Global upload slots is added as a configurable option in qBT 3.0.10 and/or qBT 3.1.0 alpha/beta...so that's another default setting to consider.
However that value is strongly tied to upload speed max.
Global upload slots should NEVER exceed total upload speed in KiB/sec.
Global upload slots should also be equal or greater than the number of active torrents that have peers, otherwise someone could leech torrents by setting global upload slots to 1 and upload speed to 1 KiB/sec and starting lots of torrents at once.

Beyond that, a fixed global upload slots value of 10 doesn't work well if total upload speed is >200 KiB/sec or <30 KiB/sec.
4 upload slots per torrent also suffers a bit outside those ranges, especially if too few or too many torrents are active at once.