qBittorrent - Windows vs Linux

Other platforms, generic questions.
Jellyfish

qBittorrent - Windows vs Linux

Post by Jellyfish »

Hi,

I am currently a Windows XP user of qBittorrent.  I have also been trying Linux Mint 13.  I just wondered - are there many (any) significant differences between the Windows and Linux versions of qBittorrent?  For example, does the Windows version have more features than the Linux version?  I'm still undecided if I should stick with Windows or move to Linux!

Thanks.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: qBittorrent - Windows vs Linux

Post by Peter »

Same codebase, same features. Windows side only got the installer work added to it, but that's all.
So you would get the exact same thing.

What system should you use? That's up to you. If you have free time, if you love to tinker around, use Linux.
It will use up your free (and sometimes even not so free) time, but may give you a satisfying feel if you fix problems/make things work.
Or you could always keep a dual boot system to be on the safe side.

too long & boring answer to Linux:
Don't get me wrong I love Linux and I use it daily. Both in virtual environment, and on servers. It does serve a role. But as a daily driver, I found it too time consuming, and even using the most stable distribution would not help with that. I still install Linux to people I know.

Ubuntu LTS is an excellent desktop for newbie users. Really! Every older couple/person learnt it in matter of days. And they never ever owned or used a computer before. Yeah they had their "wtf?!" moment when the dialog about update popped up, but that's it. And there are no viruses (okay, not entirely true, but they didn't catch any yet) to worry about. Even if let's say you have the best AV product on Windows, you still need to know what it says when it finds something, and basically you need "Common Sense 2013" to stay protected.

So yeah, there is that. Generic PC users got their system replaced with Kubuntu and they had no problems either. It worked. They had internet, the system popped up their pictures when they connected a camera and all.

And the best part? I had to spend 0 effort with those systems. They literally go weeks, months, years without any problem.
Sure there are like 9000+ updates when I get to the machines, but who cares? (you can set Ubuntu to install security ones automatically. not like it would matter, though.)

But for advanced users, it's a no go. Even with PPAs, you just meet new problems, fix problems, meet then new ones, and this goes on. There is no end. And you can't really use this knowledge either, unless Canonical or some other distro starts a company for tech support and you get a job there. Because the stuff you learn from making your sound work, getting Steam games running at all, are not helpful at all when it comes to servers for example. Only a tiny bit of that huge knowledge can be used as a sysadmin for example.

/blog
(I should just CTRL+W such replies, as there is no way anyone going to ever read them. And it just wastes space in the database. Oh well.)
Last edited by Peter on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jellyfish

Post by Jellyfish »

Nice useful answer Shiki.  Thanks for your reply!  :)
qbuser

Post by qbuser »

I have been using the Linux version of qBittorrent for about 2 years and it works very well.  I tested all the popular Linux bittorrent clients, and found qBittorrent to download much faster and have better flexibility while still being easy to use.

I encourage you (Jellyfish) to move to Linux.  While shiki's comment that a Linux system can consume a lot of time is true, it does not have to be that way if one uses a very polished distribution like openSUSE Linux.  I have computer phobic relatives who can not tell the difference between a floppy and a hard drive that learned to use openSUSE with KDE desktop in less than a week; and have been very happy with it for several years while being noobs the entire time.  Their system continuously updates itself for both security and new software features without any user intervention (and, one can also manually take control of updates at any time if desired).

Unlike Ubuntu, an openSUSE Linux system is very newbie friendly while being able to grow with the user to a very advanced level.  The default install has sane defaults that can be used without modification for years, and a graphical administration system (YaST) for easy use.  Also, one can configure every tiny detail if they desire.  openSUSE has a wide range of users from casual netbook users to Enterprise grade server deployments.  openSUSE is even used by the Bank of Brazil (Brazil's largest bank) for their servers, desktops, and ATM's.  openSUSE has one of the largest selections of Linux software available, if not the largest selection.

One can test drive openSUSE without installing it to a hard drive by using a Live version that can run from DVD or from USB stick; so there is no commitment.  If you do do use a Live version of openSUSE, remember that the DVD or flash drive it runs from will limit the speed of the system, and openSUSE will run much faster from a hard drive.

If one ever has a question about their openSUSE system, there is a large community of enthusiastic users who frequent the openSUSE forum regularly and are happy to help.