All torrents "stall"

Windows specific questions, problems.
greg1296

All torrents "stall"

Post by greg1296 »

I am relatively new to torrents and my technical knowledge is minimal.  I recently installed qBittorent.  I have been trying to download torrents with no luck.  As soon as the download process begins, the status changes to "Stalled" and stays that way.  I am using Hotspot Shield as a VPN and my ISP is AT&T (California USA).  The downloads and uploads briefly worked when I had my Hotspot Shield accidentally in "unprotected" mode, but not sure why the VPN could be the issue (I used Hotspot shield before with utorrent before with no problem)

In the lower half of the qBittorent window, when I click on trackers for any torrent, the status of "tracker.publicbt.com" is "Working" but the status of all remaining trackers on the list are "Not contacted."  Can anyone help me out?  Thanks
zeomal

Re: All torrents "stall"

Post by zeomal »

Check the following:

1. Is qBittorrent is blocked by your firewall? If it is, then unblock it. For more information on how to do this, go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/Windows-Firewall-from-start-to-finish.
If you use another firewall, check it's support page for more details.

2. Have you tried with Hotspot Shield turned off? If qB works that way, then your VPN could be a problem.

3. AT&T might be throttling your BitTorrent traffic (though the chances for this are very low).

4. As to the part about other tracker not being contacted yet, qB handles trackers relatively well. However, if, for some reason, you want qB to announce itself to all tracker, then you can achieve this via this:
  a. Go to Tools, then Options (or simply press Alt+O).
  b. Click on the Advanced tab.
  c. Scroll to the bottom, and you will find an option Always announce to all trackers.
  d. Enable it. You're done.
greg1296

Post by greg1296 »

Thanks ZeoMal.  I'll give it a try.
greg1296

Post by greg1296 »

I discovered that my VPN (Hotspot Shield) is preventing me from downloading torrents.  What can I do?  Is there a simple configuration setting in Hotspot shield to allow torrent downloads?  If not, is there another free VPN that CURRENTLY allows torrent downloads?  If the answers are “no” and “no”, what is the cheapest (and simplest) paid VPN that will allow torrent downloads?

Thanks.
loki

Post by loki »

I think this question was recently asked in another thread, and I think the suggested answer was why not just buy a seedbox? Something dedicated to torrent specific traffic, and you can connect to it with secure connection to download files from.
zeomal

Post by zeomal »

To your first question, I guess you can do nothing.
Ah! That probably means that Hotspot Shield has become a non-P2P supporting VPN. Sad.

I wouldn't recommend free-VPNs, because they almost always don't function as expected, or have some hidden terms. Spotflux [http://www.spotflux.com/] appears to be okay (I haven't tested it personally, but you can check for reviews on the web.)

For a list of good (paid) VPNs, along with thorough reviews, check out this link: http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition-130302/.
greg1296

Post by greg1296 »

Thanks to both responses.  I was trying not to buy anything online, but I guess I have no choice.  I will research paid VPNs and seed boxes.