Maximum Share Ratio Limit at 9999.00?

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
zeomal

Maximum Share Ratio Limit at 9999.00?

Post by zeomal »

I don't think that this could be considered a big issue, but I suppose it's something that has been overlooked.

The share ratio (whether limited by torrent-specific or global constraints) does not go beyond 9999.00. This would seem silly, but for small torrents (of the order of a few tens of kilobytes), this could be a minor inconvenience. Neither the actual upload rate nor the seeding of the torrent is affected, but the share ratio does not update after it has reached 9999.00. Just thought that removing such a (possibly pointless) limit and setting it to an almost impossible to achieve ratio (say 99999999999.00?) should not harm anyone.

qBittorrent version: 3.0.10 (the one in which I noticed this - I don't know whether this is present in older versions).
OS: Windows 8 and above (not that it really matters, right?)
Last edited by zeomal on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: Maximum Share Ratio Limit at 9999.00?

Post by ciaobaby »

Numbers have to have a limit (in computer programming terms) to prevent "overflows" and possible crashing.

If you want to override the global limits;

Right click the job -> Click "Limit share ratio" -> Choose the "Set no ratio limit" radio button -> OK
zeomal

Post by zeomal »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Numbers have to have a limit (in computer programming terms) to prevent "overflows" and possible crashing.
[/quote]
Thanks for letting me know. I feel 9999.00 is slightly low a limit.

[quote="ciaobaby"]
If you want to override the global limits;
[/quote]
You see, neither the actual upload rate nor the seeding of the torrent is affected. It's not the global ratio limits that I'm talking about. What that option does it limit (or remove the limit, as the case is) on the torrent that is being seeded.

What I wanted to know was why after reaching a share ratio of 9999.00, upon further seeding the ratio remained at 9999.00, did not chage to 9999.12 or something higher. The display on the amount uploaded however, did (and still does) change.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

The display field/column is set in 4.1 format, that's four significant digits plus one decimal, so you build in a safety 'IF condition' in the software to prevent the display field overflowing and causing an exception.

Code: Select all

if (ratio_val > 9999) {
     display_val = 9999.0 ;
} 
zeomal

Post by zeomal »

Okay. I understand.

Thank you for taking your time to patiently explain it a non-developer like me. :)