Great torrent client, i have a suggestion to make.

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
evilhao

Great torrent client, i have a suggestion to make.

Post by evilhao »

Is there a way to implement sending messages to other peers? Like when i am downloading a torrent i don't know if it's legit or not, messaging someone would be nice  :D for future of torrenting. Like asking for seeds and stuff.
ciaobaby

Re: Great torrent client, i have a suggestion to make.

Post by ciaobaby »

Thankfully no, and hopefully there never will be.

BitTorrent/uTorrent had a "chat" feature but  in a rare moment of common sense for them, removed it, and if anyone can recall the days of WinMX having users sending "I need [whatever], do you have it" messages was annoying to say the least.

Also;
A: How exactly would asking for "seeds and stuff" from the peers you are already connected to, be useful?
B: How many BT users do you think are looking at their client all the time?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

No. qBittorrent is strictly a bittorrent application. Chatting will never happen as long as I am maintainer of this project. Many sites/trackers have a comment section for each torrent page.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

+1 sledge, im also definitly against any kind of message/chat function or any other bloat like build in Media Player and so on.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I am of the unix way: Each program to its function. (ie if you want to play a media file you use a media player).

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_phil ... ry_of_Unix
This is the Unix philosophy: Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a universal interface.