Server Reboot - qBittorrent reverts back to default settings?

Linux specific questions, problems.
Truexile

Server Reboot - qBittorrent reverts back to default settings?

Post by Truexile »

Hey guys, I just got qBittorrent WebUI up and running on my server and it's working great. I was able to log in, and I changed the default password (adminadmin) and the default port (8080) to my own preferences, clicked save and it was fine. I was able to sign in with my new password under my new port. The problem happend when I rebooted my server, qBittorrent lost the setting that I saved, and reverted back to its default port/password. Im sure im missing something very simple but I cant figure it out, any suggestions anybody?

Thanks in advance  :)
ciaobaby

Re: Server Reboot - qBittorrent reverts back to default settings?

Post by ciaobaby »

version?

Operating system?
Truexile

Post by Truexile »

Im running Ubuntu server 14.04.1, and qBittorrent v3.1.8 (Web UI).
Any help appreciated.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Use the official PPAs. v3.1.11 has some improvements on saving settings IIRC. v3.2.0alpha has even more improvements.
stable: https://launchpad.net/~qbittorrent-team ... ent-stable
unstable: https://launchpad.net/~qbittorrent-team ... t-unstable
Truexile

Post by Truexile »

I successfully installed  the official v3.1.11 PPAs but the problem still persists. Im not sure if I want to try out the unstable PPAs, or just re-input the settings whenever I reboot. Hopefully a stable version will come out that fixes the problem. Thanks for the help.
watsug

Post by watsug »

I have the the same problem as Truexile, I have qBittorrent v3.1.8 (Web UI) (from Ubuntu PPA) installed on Ubuntu Server 14.04.1. I set it up using the guide on the wiki, wasn't able to set up user "qbtuser" so I just run it under my main user account. I did change USER in the init file.
When I start it with the script sudo service qbittorrent start it all changes made through the web ui are lost upon restarting the service. However if I start it through sudo qbittorrent-nox I can change settings and the settings are saved upon restart and reboot.
Could this have something to do with permissions?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

FYI there are new PPAs available. Go to the downloads page and find them. Update to latest and see if that helps.
watsug

Post by watsug »

Now I'm at qBittorrent v3.1.11 (Web UI), didn't make a difference :(
Also, don't know if this is normal (new to qbt) but magnets links are not present after a reboot. I tried a .torrent and it's present when launched through sudo qbittorrent but not when it's launched as a service.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

What happens if you send SIGTERM to the running qbittorrent-nox does it exit and save the settings correctly?
Truexile

Post by Truexile »

I got it working, https and everything :) I re-installed everything from scratch and qbittorrent seems to save my settings just fine now. I think installing it through (ppa:surfernsk/internet-software) on the github tutorial I followed was the problem. Even after I updated qbittorrent to the new stable ppa's I didnt have any luck. It could be because I didn't remove the old ones, im pretty new to all this stuff. So I just followed the tutorial again using the ppa you recomended (ppa:qbittorrent-team/qbittorrent-stable) and it works :) Thanks for the help, I would recommend updating that github tutorial.
Last edited by Truexile on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Truexile"]....I would recommend updating that github tutorial.
[/quote]

FYI, the wiki is editable by anyone registered with github.
Roseysdaddy

Post by Roseysdaddy »

When I purge/autoremove AND delete qBitttorrent-nox and conf files from the user /home/ dir, then go to reinstall it keeps adding back torrents and has some values in the settings that I have changed.  Is there somewhere else that has this data that im not deleting?!?

Edit:  I don't know.  Ive uninstalled and reinstalled the stable, unstable versions a thousand times now.  I finally got it to where it would save my settings but then on reboot go right back to defaults.  So f'ing frustrating.
Last edited by Roseysdaddy on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

1. start qbt-nox
2. change some settings
3. give qbt-nox the SIGTERM singal so it will terminate
4. wait for it to dissapear from the process list
5. start qbt-nox again

Were the settings saved?
watsug

Post by watsug »

Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply. I am still unable to save settings when starting through the startup script (sudo service qbittorrent start)
How do I give sigterm signal?