modified time of files

Windows specific questions, problems.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: modified time of files

Post by Nemo »

First off welcome, drumtail, and thanks for your input.

A few notes to make things clear in this topic:
- If you don't like someone's attitude thats fine (even I don't from some of the users..) you can always ignore or just add some more in depth detailed explanation, if needed. Or wait till someone else responses.
- His +/- ratio (or mine, doesn't matter from who) is irrelevant in this case, I can edit it to +999 if that would make me ''perfect'' in everyones eyes. Not that im doing it but its possible.
- Therefore he being Global Moderator has nothing to do with this statistics. As the title says he moderates the forum, as do we as good as possible to keep everything clean and neat.
- Also lets not discuss about who has more knowledge or not which is totally unnecessary and only bloating the topic.

That said, lets keep discussing ontopic shall we, thanks :).
Last edited by Nemo on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexw

Post by alexw »

@drumtrail many thanks for the suggestions. I actually do have SSD caching via Intel Rapid Response! Well spotted. I'll try new intel drivers, bios, and refreshing the acceleration and will report back. Fingers crossed.

@Nemo I think @drumtrail was spot on regarding your moderator, and he did add useful info: the point is that users feel discouraged from asking for help in these forums when such dreadful attitudes are displayed by the moderators. It also doesn't help when the admin is more bothered by the (mild) comments from a user than the (awful) comments from moderators who drive users away. You should see this as constructive criticism, but do with it what you will.
Last edited by alexw on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexw

Post by alexw »

I disabled and re-enabled SSD caching for the HDD in the Intel Rapid Response and now the "last modified" datetime is updated correctly. Thanks again @drumtrail. I'll keep an eye on it but it seems there's no need for libtorrent or qbittorrent to force a "last modified" update upon download finish.

This may have to be reported straight to Intel. What an ugly bug.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Good that it's working correctly now as you want it to be.
Muzak

Post by Muzak »

Even though we were asked to leave bickering aside I really felt this needed a response.  Ciaobaby has an extensive knowledge of OS and bittorrent client issues.  If you followed other threads you might know that.  **In this case** Ciaobaby's response was technically correct and the subsequent interactions show this is not a qBit issue but something specific to this user's hardware/OS configuration. 

There is a common misconception on how bittorrent protocol works vs "file based" OS handling works.  Ciaobaby (and others) understand the difference, but it' scounter-intuative and many people can't seem to make the mental jump required.  Doesn't mean they are stupid or ignorant, it's not a simple concept to wrap your brain around, much less explain clearly.  I've been a software dev for 30 years and it still took me time to understand the process and the issues.

[quote="drumtail"]

@ciaobaby, as entertaining as your posts were, you need a really serious attitude adjustment, even more so given you are a moderator. Your +/- ratio should worry you and the administrator. On top of that, you showed how little you understand about an OS (and bittorrent clients). The public burn you received in this thread would make any decent person cringe.
[/quote]
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Remarkably enough:

I have just posted this.

Feel free to comment.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Valid points Muzak, well said.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

To the users that complained and the others one that defended ciaobaby:
1. I made the above sentence sound like a "trial" but it is not. I just feel that I should say my opinion too, especially when new users feel that way.
2. Yes, ciaobaby has above average knowledge bt/pcs/technology. Yes, he has done correctly his job as moderator. Hint: moderator to me means stopping abusive users, deleting spammes, splitting topics into 2 etc. Generally forum maintenance. The responses of a moderator generally isn't a problem for me.
3. However, sometimes I feel that ciaobaby shouldn't assume that everyone is dumb.

And since everyone has said their opinions, I would like to ask you to NOT continue this discussion here. It is offtopic. I only answered because I wanted the 2 new users to not feel cornered because they spoke against a moderator. If anyone has problems with ANY mod and wants he removal he should open another thread where users could discuss.

This thread can continue about the original issue. -which seems solved atm.-
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

However, sometimes I feel that ciaobaby shouldn't assume that everyone is dumb.
Unfortunately ... it's quite hard to do that when one has to deal with THIS kind of thing on a daily basis from supposedly intelligent homo sapiens.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

ciaobaby wrote:
However, sometimes I feel that ciaobaby shouldn't assume that everyone is dumb.
Unfortunately ... it's quite hard to do that when one has to deal with THIS kind of thing on a daily basis from supposedly intelligent homo sapiens.
If your other work involves dealing with THAT kind of stupid people, then assuming dumbness is ok in that context.
But in this forum this isn't the case. So troubleshooting shouldn't assume that the other user is dumb.(AT FIRST)
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Well I think that we don't need to compare other forums with ours ciao. Its true that completely new torrenting users will come here but also users that are a bit more experienced users. The fact is we don't know when they open a topic with their first post.

Being a mod or admin is always hard, especially if you say 1 word that somehow offends the original topic starter while clearly thats not your intention to do so as Muzak also mentioned here. Its definitly not our task to let them feel cornered because they talked to us at all. If I see the number of topics in the past months/years that we have dealed perfectly fine and few topics where the discussions somehow got out of hand (which is possible) then I can say we are doing our job good enough.
Last edited by Nemo on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muzak

Post by Muzak »

my last 2 cents in this thread is that since I've joined there are far, far, more topics where the issue is dealt with "perfectly" compared to ones where the discussions go south....