How do I enable DHT, PeX, and LSD for a private torrent?

Windows specific questions, problems.
snakyjake

How do I enable DHT, PeX, and LSD for a private torrent?

Post by snakyjake »

I have a torrent that says the DHT, PeX, and LSD is disabled, with a message "private torrent".

How can I modify/force the torrent to enable DHT, PeX, LSD?
ciaobaby

Re: How do I enable DHT, PeX, and LSD for a private torrent?

Post by ciaobaby »

How can I modify/force the torrent to enable DHT, PeX, LSD?
You don't, the private flag turns them off. Your only option is to unload the task, edit the metadata file, turn off the private flag and reload the job. However do not rely on getting more peers by doing this because any existing peers will STILL have the private flag set.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

A private tracker is a BitTorrent tracker that restricts use by requiring users to register with the site.
DHT is Distributed Hash Table and is essentially a way to help others peers connect to you. Trackers that require you to disable it, do so because DHT can cause your stats to be recorded incorrectly, and thus would be classified as cheating. Trackers usually also have you disable Peer EXchange (PEX), which can allow outside people to gain access to the torrents.
There is a reason that private torrents are called private. If it was possible to use DHT/PeX/LSD then the normal users that are not registered at the private site where the torrent comes from could possibly also download with that torrent. Its strictly forbidden to use them, if you would get caught using it its almost an instant ban.

qBittorrent, and also other clients, automaticly disables them for these reasons.
Last edited by Nemo on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
AyrA

Post by AyrA »

As an alternative, you can add public trackers to the torrent (example list)