Migrate from uTorrent to qBittorrent easily

Windows specific questions, problems.
mihawk90

Re: Migrate from uTorrent to qBittorrent easily

Post by mihawk90 »

I'm having the same issue a few others had before sadly :(

I get to 291/375 and then this pops:

Code: Select all

C:/Users/mihawk90/AppData/Local/Temp/ocr6C7C.tmp/src/resumedatfinal.rb:97:in `sort': comparison of Array with String failed (ArgumentError)
        from C:/Users/mihawk90/AppData/Local/Temp/ocr6C7C.tmp/src/resumedatfinal.rb:97:in `tPunchup'
        from C:/Users/mihawk90/AppData/Local/Temp/ocr6C7C.tmp/src/resumedatfinal.rb:390:in `block in <main>'
        from C:/Users/mihawk90/AppData/Local/Temp/ocr6C7C.tmp/src/resumedatfinal.rb:375:in `each'
        from C:/Users/mihawk90/AppData/Local/Temp/ocr6C7C.tmp/src/resumedatfinal.rb:375:in `<main>'
If you need the resume.dat I can upload it somewhere.

The BT_Backup folder is already populated, qbittorrent's list gets populated as well but it didn't adjust any download locations and is still trying to use the default location for all but one torrent... No changed names and filenames on torrent's either (both single and multi file torrents). Might be related to the script crashing before it finishes, I don't know :(

/edit
I'm using the precompiled version in the first post by the way, if that makes any difference.
Last edited by mihawk90 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mahkitah

Post by mahkitah »

I used ut2gt to migrate all my torrents. Everything seemed to work fine.
All my torrents were in QBT with their original data.

But when I tried moving the torrents (Set location...) Everything went south:
QBT only moved the files and not the torrent folder. I ended up with all the files from the torrents on one big heap in the new location.

Ut2gt has a flaw when migrating multi-file torrents. It doesn't put the torrent folder in the torrent, instead, it puts the torrent folder in the save path.
So everything works fine until you start moving the torrent. Because the containing folder isn't in the torrent only the files are moved. (and the folder gets deleted for being empty)

Is there a fix for this?
One of the main reasons I want to switch to QBT is the ability to mass-move my torrents.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

libtorrent, the protocol engine of qbittorrent arranges the payload exactly as it is in the metadata, it does not add an extra top level folder with the 'name' of the torrent which uTorrent does.

You can use labels to add an extra folder layer or create a "named" folder when moving payloads.
mahkitah

Post by mahkitah »

I think I didn't explain my problem very well, but there surely is a difference between migrating with ut2gt and opening the same torrent directly in QBT.

To show the difference I made some screenshots

Torrent opened directly in QBT:

Torrent migrated from uTorrent with ut2gt:

I hope this shows exactly what I tried to explain.
When opening the torrent in QBT, the folder "Autoclav_1.1-Werewolf_Country-2015-FWYH" is part of the payload. Which is how you want it.
When migrating, only the files are in the payload and the folder is part of the save path.
(I hope I'm using the term 'payload' correctly here)
Last edited by mahkitah on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

And is the net effect of either method different when the payload is on the drive?
mahkitah

Post by mahkitah »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
And is the net effect of either method different when the payload is on the drive?
[/quote]
The net effect is different when you move the torrents.
In the first case, the folder gets moved with the files in it.
In the second case only the files are moved, and when you move multiple torrents in one go, you end up with all their files mixed up in the destination folder.

The ability to easily mass-move torrents is one of the huge pluses that QBT has over utorrent, but using ut2gt renders this feature useless.

Right now I have the choice between using ut2gt and adding all my torrents via a watch folder + rechecking.
With the first method I end up with basically unmovable torrents,
with the second method I lose all my torrent data (ratio, up/download, date added, etc.)
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I lose all my torrent data (ratio, up/download, date added, etc.)
And that matters because?

If you really need them, make a note in a file of the current values, and keep them handy.
mahkitah

Post by mahkitah »

You can keep downplaying every issue all you want, and off course, in the whole scheme of things happening in the world, losing torrent data is not a big issue. But I'd rather keep them. Plus importing your torrents without this tool is a lot of work when your files are in multiple folders on multiple drives.
The whole idea of this tool is to make the migration easy and right now the folder issue is a dealbreaker for me, and probably for others too.

I have no idea if there's still development going on, but if there's a good chance of this being fixed in the near future, I will gladly wait.

I would think that a well working migration tool is an important thing if you want people to make the switch from utorrent.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

But I'd rather keep them.
Then just copy it to a spreadsheet, ... There is only you that ever sees it.

Unless you engage in "willy waving" your stats for 'bragging rights' that is, of course.
mahkitah

Post by mahkitah »

Can't you really take this seriously?
This is not about keeping torrent data. This is about a tool that is not functioning properly. A tool that might significantly lower the threshold for people to switch to QBT.
Maybe you don't think this is important, but don't get involved then, and let others handle it.

Anyway, I figured out how this issue can be solved.
ut2gt creates a .fastresume file. If you make the following changes to that file, everything works perfectly:
-delete the "mapped_files" entry (or empty it)
-remove the torrent folder from the path in "qBt-savePath"

Unfortunately I don't have any programming skills so I can't do it myself.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Can't you really take this seriously?
No.

It's not my problem, and certainly NOT a problem with qbittorrent itself, therefore it is not an issue for this forum or the qbittorrent developers to deal with.

Comment  on github or talk directly to Danzig via PM who wrote the import application, if you feel that there is a problem with it.

However;  before you do either of those, take note of the following:

As I said earlier in this thread, uTorrent inserts an extra folder when a torrent is loaded and this is written into the uTorrent resume.dat as the top level folder, therefore your assertion that the folder IS part of the original payload IS incorrect, and as such your complaint should be to uTorrent, NOT Danzig and most certainly NOT here.
mahkitah

Post by mahkitah »

ciaobaby wrote: It's not my problem,
True, nobody said it was your problem.
and certainly NOT a problem with qbittorrent itself
True
therefore it is not an issue for this forum or the qbittorrent developers to deal with.
This whole thread has been about solving problems with this app, and now this isn't the right place for that anymore?
Comment  on github or talk directly to Danzig via PM who wrote the import application, if you feel that there is a problem with it.
Will do
As I said earlier in this thread, uTorrent inserts an extra folder when a torrent is loaded and this is written into the uTorrent resume.dat as the top level folder, therefore your assertion that the folder IS part of the original payload IS incorrect
I trust that you're right about the top level folder thing, and I have have no idea about how utorrent and qbt handle that differently.
But as I said earlier in this thread, when you open a multi-file torrent in QBT, it does put the top folder in the content (at least on the GUI-level. Maybe not "behind the scenes")
And if you make two small changes to the .fastresume files that ut2gt produces, you get exactly the same thing from your migrated torrents.
and as such your complaint should be to uTorrent, NOT Danzig and most certainly NOT here.
I raised an issue I had with this tool, hoping to find a solution. That's not a complaint. That's an attempt to make things better, in the same way that bug-reports or feature-requests are not complaints.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

This whole thread has been about solving problems with this app, and now this isn't the right place for that anymore?

The thread is about using the script, NOT solving problems caused by uTorrent's bad behaviour.
twinkle

Post by twinkle »

Can someone please confirm what versions of uTorrent and qBit this works with? I'm successfully generating a bunch of .fastresume:s .torrents in BT_backup but when starting qBit it's just empty. And yes, I have removed the qBittorent-resume.ini.

For the record I'm using uTorrent 3.2.1 and qBit 3.2.3
Last edited by twinkle on Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

Ok guys, I'm back.

Sadly I had to revert to uTorrent a few months back for performance reasons, but I'll give it another try, because I badly need rss downloading overs socks proxy, which is broken in uTorrent for years.

So I'll try to fix a few things in the following days. No promises though :)

The most important bug (well, for me) is actually the one that mahkitah mentioned. The way utorrent handles save paths caused my box to download hundreds of gigabytes of torrents in a subfolder in their already downloaded directory.