qBittorrent + VPN = Stalled?

Windows specific questions, problems.
SkOrPn

qBittorrent + VPN = Stalled?

Post by SkOrPn »

Hello first post here.

I read all the FAQ's but can't seem to find the answer on this. Today I discovered qBittorrent and well I really like it, especially since it seems to be fast and has some features I really need. However, out of all the torrent apps its the only one that causes my entire network to be shut down, including wifi. Spent the last several hours, with a friend, trying to solve it to no avail.

So, below is the setup. I tried this on both the latest Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. Both have the exact same symptoms.

Everything on CAT6
ISP = CenturyLink 40/5 DSL
Modem = C1000A latest firmware (using built in router)
Switch = Asus GX-D1051 V3
NIC = Intel Gigabit PCIe card
VPN = Private Internet Access (always connected to Texas servers)

uTorrent = Works fine
Tixati = Works fine
qBittorrent = Kills both wired and wifi at different intervals. How it can kill my connection to all my wifi devices blows my mind, so I can only assume its something to do with the way this program connects through my VPN.

To resolve the issue, I either have to reboot the computer, or reboot my router, or simply disconnect from the VPN. Disconnecting from the VPN takes the computer about 2-3 minutes to reconnect to the Internet. But rebooting the computer gets it working much faster. However, rebooting the router works even faster to reconnect.

Things I have done to try and figure this out.

1. I removed all IPv6 adapters so as to reduce how many entries I have in the advanced section.
2. I set the program to only use > Local Area Connection = TAP-Win32 Adapter v9 (is my VPN connection)

Still kills my connection. What should I try next? Any ideas what's going on? Thanks for any help, I really like this app but obviously I can't use it in this state. Please help!
ciaobaby

Re: qBittorrent + VPN = Stalled?

Post by ciaobaby »

reduce the number of half open connections in Options -> Advanced.

And what version?
SkOrPn

Post by SkOrPn »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
reduce the number of half open connections in Options -> Advanced.

And what version?
[/quote]
Thanks for your reply. I am using the latest version. It says 3.1.12.

Just set the Half Open connections from 50 to 25. I will report back how this works out. Thanks again for the reply.

EDIT: Well so far so good. I completed a few torrents so far. Will keep monitoring to see if this solved it. I guess the TAP driver cannot handle 50 connections? Not quite sure how it could possibly kill my routers wifi though. I can see it killing my computers VPN connection which is using CAT6 Ethernet, but not the wireless network. Weird stuff to me lol.
Last edited by SkOrPn on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Not quite sure how it could possibly kill my routers wifi though.
Because most ISP provided routers are nowhere near "top of the line" and their '802.11x" components  are often well below the specs needed for the higher end traffic that  bittorrent protocol use can create. They are built for 'average to low end users' and the volume of connections required/used for "peer to peer" simply overwhelms them.
SkOrPn

Post by SkOrPn »

ciaobaby wrote:
Not quite sure how it could possibly kill my routers wifi though.
Because most ISP provided routers are nowhere near "top of the line" and their '802.11x" components  are often well below the specs needed for the higher end traffic that bittorrent protocol use can create. They are built for 'average to low end users' and the volume of connections required/used for "peer to peer" simply overwhelms them.
Yeah, but since I am NOT using wifi what so ever, and wifi is considered its own network, how can it kill something that I'm not even using and/or qBittorrent is NOT using? Remember, like I said before my Computer + qBittorrent etc is using ONLY ETHERNET connection. Not to mention "other torrent apps" have been working for years with no ill effect. Like I said before, I understand why the wired connection was killed to the computer using the VPN, but how it brought down a wireless connection (one that does not even use the VPN) and one that qBittorrent has no connection with, kinda surprised me. Somehow it (maybe the VPN server?) over loaded and/or sent a kill signal or "something" to shut down everything on the Router? Or some sort of kernel panic within the routers OS? Anyway, it is a very interesting discovery.

Oh by the way, I think bringing down the connections from 50 to 25 might have resolved it. Going to do more testing over the coming weeks to see what the limit is. Maybe it can handle 45 connections, but not 50? lol
Thanks for the replies.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

If it shuts down or crashes the DNS resolver/server of the router, nothing is going to work because it cannot route any packets.
Oh by the way, I think bringing down the connections from 50 to 25 might have resolved it.
You may be misunderstanding what a 'half-open' connection is and their effect,
SkOrPn

Post by SkOrPn »

ciaobaby wrote: If it shuts down or crashes the DNS resolver/server of the router, nothing is going to work because it cannot route any packets.
Oh by the way, I think bringing down the connections from 50 to 25 might have resolved it.
I would guarantee that I am misunderstanding what half-open connections are, there is no maybe about it, lol. Thus I have to do some research and experimenting until I understand what it is.

EDIT: OK, I understand what it is after some reading. Thanks
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

SkOrPn wrote:
ciaobaby wrote: If it shuts down or crashes the DNS resolver/server of the router, nothing is going to work because it cannot route any packets.
I would guarantee that I am misunderstanding what half-open connections are, there is no maybe about it, lol. Thus I have to do some research and experimenting until I understand what it is.

EDIT: OK, I understand what it is after some reading. Thanks
Now THAT'S what I like to see or hear, someone with a true inquiring mind who doesn't mind having their understanding of something challenged, then going and finding out why they may be incorrect. Kudos definitely deserved.