Are download connections prioritized over upload connections at max connections?

Windows specific questions, problems.
ratatatyo

Are download connections prioritized over upload connections at max connections?

Post by ratatatyo »

You can see my settings and the situation below.
Number of connections per torrent is reaching the maximum, mostly with unused upload peers(it only uses 5 slots to seed as set in options; there is also an upload speed limit).
My question is: Will the newcoming download connections be prioritised over the junk upload ones if the cap is reached? Or do i have to manually increase the maximum connections number even more?
Attachments
main.PNG
settings.PNG
ciaobaby

Re: Are download connections prioritized over upload connections at max connections?

Post by ciaobaby »

So ... 150 global connections but 100 per torrent??

AND 7 total upload slots with 5 per torrent??

And you are wondering why you have 'junk' peers taking up connections??

Just do the mathematics, your client is a perfect target for opportunistic connection from badly behaved peers.
ratatatyo

Re: Are download connections prioritized over upload connections at max connections?

Post by ratatatyo »

I changed max connections per torrent because it reached the cap. That's exactly why i have my question.
The cap is reached on a single torrent, so i don't see how my settings are a problem? Shine some light, please
Global setting is higher than per torrent, so what's bad?
Like if 1 torrent has 5 slots taken the other will have only 3 available by the global setting. Or do you mean that's a really small number?
Once again everything is on a single torrent, idk what that has to do with it
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

So you run only one task at any one time?
ratatatyo

Post by ratatatyo »

No, but most of my torrents don't get such an attention (guess what it is lol).
So that amount of connections is more than enough. With default settings i had performance issues, so i had to lower them.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Before we go any further .... Some questions that require an answer.

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... ed'-issues
ratatatyo

Post by ratatatyo »

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4296259041
qbt v3.1.12, windows 7 64x
connections: 200 - 200 atm
upload slots: 7 - 5
half-open connections: thats what i thought might do the trick, so its at 10
uTP off
idk about Rate limit uTP, have a global rate limit for upload at 270, maybe thats the same thing
didn't find encryption setting sry
ipv6 off
connection status: online
no proxy

as long as it is on my hdd, i seed.
i have ~50 torrents seeding atm. but i rarely see anyone downloading them.
other tasks all the time.
there is a pc wired to router; my pc and a tablet on lan
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

okay, having uTP off means that you are isolating or ignoring a reasonably large  proportion of peers.
i have ~50 torrents seeding atm. but i rarely see anyone downloading them
Possibly because your settings make it problematic to get connections.

So start off with:

300 max connections
20 per torrent

150 upload slots
15 per torrent

leave half open at 10

And monitor how it goes on.

Reduce the connections if it 'eats' too much download capacity (decrement 10 each time from max 2 from per torrent
Same for upload slots if upload overruns is

Using connections/upload slots to limit usage is often more "accurate" than limiting speed is.
ratatatyo

Post by ratatatyo »

Most of peers are gone now, so are a few seeds, dropped the down speed. not sure if because of settings.
I still have my question.
With settings you gave:
Let's say at one point there will be no seeds, but many peers. Peers will use 15 slots to actually peer.
From what i have seen there will also be 5 peer connections that don't peer, but take up connection space. You can see such a behaviour at my screens.
Q1: Did the settings you gave really fix it?
Q2: What if a seed is found? Will it get a connection riight away?
Q3: What if there is more than 5 seeds found? Will the 'peering peers' be dropped to make place or will i only be able to use 5 down slots?
By the time i wrote this, instead of 16s-3p it's now 9s-11p, download speed dropped 5times. That's exactly what i mean
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I'm guessing from these questions  that you  don't really understand how bittorrent peering actually works. It's no big deal if you don't, 'cos' no-one here was born with a innate ability for BitTorrent, we've all been 'newbies' at one time or another. And it does no good to explain things in "Geekinese" if you're normal.

Q1: Did the settings you gave really fix it?
Only you can tell us that.
Q2: What if a seed is found? Will it get a connection riight away?
Not if your client is already seeding. And if you are downloading it will depend on if that seed has connections available and free upload slots, and your client is not allowing "greedy" peers to prosper. Having too many slots can result in very poor behaviour and get your client 'snubbed' by peers that may be just as useful as a seed is.
Q3: What if there is more than 5 seeds found? Will the 'peering peers' be dropped to make place or will i only be able to use 5 down slots?
Not necessarily, it all depends on whether those peers are 'interesting' to your client [interesting means they have the pieces your client wants and those peers are also 'interested' in your client [meaning your client have pieces they want] at this point the most efficient downloading strategy algorithm kicks in, one called"Tit for tat"
By the time i wrote this, instead of 16s-3p it's now 9s-11p, download speed dropped 5times. That's exactly what i mean
Sounds like a perfectly normal state of affairs and a fairly 'healthy' swarm.
ratatatyo

Post by ratatatyo »

Is there a 'super-peer' option available maybe?
Or am I being greedy?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

[quote="ratatatyo"]
Is there a 'super-peer' option available maybe?
Or am I being greedy?[/quote]

No.

Possibly but it's not clear what you are actually trying to achieve.
ratatatyo

Post by ratatatyo »

nevermind me then, thanks for your time
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

That's it??

You're giving up at the first hurdle?

Getting the client set up to an ideal working range is not just guess work, or a 'one size fits all' scenario. You need to know how you intend to run your client, and first you need to know that ONE upload slot can service anything up to five peer uploading connections the number actually depends on the speed limits of your internet connection, and the upload speed of the connected client(s) but you wont know that kind of information until later.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

[quote="ratatatyo"]By the time i wrote this, instead of 16s-3p it's now 9s-11p, download speed dropped 5times.[/quote]Downloading torrents connect to peers and seeds, but once seeding (only to peers) connections per torrent can be barely greater than upload slots per torrent.
Unfortunately, as you've noticed qBT cannot be set to handle both conditions -- there is only 1 limit for max connections per torrent.

I resort to manually changing max connections per torrent based on whether I'm downloading or not.

Your speed test suggest ~1700 KiloBYTES/second download max and ~2700 KiloBYTES/second upload max. Unusual that upload is considerably higher than download.
You have qBT's max upload limit set to 270 KiloBYTES/second due to other unstated limitations and problems?