Search does not return any results

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
Samoth

Re: Search does not return any results

Post by Samoth »

OK, I tried mininova using a web browser and it worked. Guess this means there's some problem with qBT. So what do I do now to sort this out?
Samoth

Post by Samoth »

In addition I just noticed that qBT's connection status indicates that I don't have any direct connections.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Guess this means there's some problem with qBT
Not necessarily

What version?
What OS?
Is Python installed?

And by "Search" ... ... Which "Search" function are you referring to?
In addition I just noticed that qBT's connection status indicates that I don't have any direct connections.
You should 'fix' that.

There are more than enough threads explaining the 'how' to save me cluttering up the place with another one.
Samoth

Post by Samoth »

now it's version 3.2, but it was 3.1.x until yesterday with the same problems.
Mac OS X 10.10.3
Python? Not sure if it's installed. How can I find out? However, as I mentioned before the search works at my workplace (but they block any downloads), so nothing essential can be missing.
I'm referring to the search tab / binocular icon that's used to find torrents. At work I get some 1300 hits whereas at home I get nothing using the same search term.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

As said earlier in the thread, your home ISP is redirecting those sites so the request does not go to any  where that can return any results .
At work I get some 1300 hits whereas at home
Is this the same machine in both locations?

To test for Python. Open a terminal window, type python --version <return>

The above is unnecessary  if the answer to the question posed above the above is yes.
Samoth

Post by Samoth »

Yes it's the same machine in both places. qBT used to work at home with Sky as the internet provider in the past as well though and you said yourself that Sky doesn't prevent you from using qBT? Also I could load and use Mininova at home using a web browser.
Last edited by Samoth on Thu May 14, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

[quote="Samoth"]
Yes it's the same machine in both places. qBT used to work at home with Sky as the internet provider in the past as well though and you said yourself that Sky doesn't prevent you from using qBT? Also I could load and use Mininova at home using a web browser.
[/quote]

Yeah but that was to your blanket statement of;

[quote="Samoth"]
OK, it looks like I just won't be able to use qBT at home then. [/quote]

It's only the 'in client' search that you can't use at home.

I don't have any problems with Sky blocking these sites because I don't use any of the indexing sites that are likely to get blocked, I don't seed or download anything that is subject to copyright. and if I want to read the information that some of the blocked sites publish, I use the Tor Browser (http://torproject.org).

Getting around the UK ISPs blocking or redirecting sites only stops the average Internet user, if you know how many beans it takes to make five, .. .. It's nothing more than a mild irritation.
Samoth

Post by Samoth »

Alright, I searched at work then took the machine home and tried to download some files. It worked and the connection status now shows that I'm online. However, search still does not work at home. Does this really have nothing to do with bad settings/options on my side that I could change.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Does this really have nothing to do with bad settings/options on my side that I could change.
Absolutely nothing at all.