qBittorrent won't move completed files

Windows specific questions, problems.
Simon

qBittorrent won't move completed files

Post by Simon »

Hi, I'm having Directory moving issues with the latest v3.2.0 of qBittorrent. I freshly installed it on a new Win7x64 system and D/L a few torrents to test it out. And it failed to move completed D/Ls to the proper directory.  Here's how I have it set in uTorrent and it worked Perfectly....

I searched the forums and noticed it was an acknowledged flaw that has been/or would be fixed in latest/next version.

So, here's how I had it setup in uTorrent (which I'm trying to get rid of), and it works perfectly.  This always worked using Azeurus/Vuze which I used many years ago, as well.  How do I enter the following settings above onto qBittorrent to make it work so as to put all Incomplete torrents in Incomplete Folder and move it to Completed Folder when finished... This simple feature, I can't seem to make it work correctly after spending a long time trying  :(
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: qBittorrent won't move completed files

Post by Peter »

Try disabling your antivirus, maybe it does not "know" qBittorrent and locks the files it touches?
(Cannot really think of anything else, the feature works for everyone else.
Not to say it cannot be a bug or anything, just ...stating.)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Peter,

I actually don't even have an anti-virus software installed.  It is a fresh install with nothing but qBittorrent & Win7x64.

Here's my Downloads settings:

I simply want Finished torrents AND its files moved to the Finished Directory from the Incomplete Directory, that's all...

Can you show me a screenshot of your Directory settings which would make it work?

Much appreciated!
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Payload moving works perfectly for me RC1 on Windows 7 and  RC1 on Linux.

The .torrent files are not moved from one location to another they are copied into the 'completed' folder.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I think I may have found the BUG... 

I was testing already completed or incomplete/partially completed files that were moved into the Incomplete Directory.  I double clicked the torrent, then qBittorrent will do a check on the data that is already present in the Incomplete Directory.  Once the check is completed, the torrent file & Completed file(s)/Directory is suppose to be moved to the Completed Directory, but it doesn't behave as expected (uTorrent & Azeurus & others moves them to the Completed Directory, since they are now complete).

I also tried simply copy only one of my completed torrents Directory into the Incomplete Directory, and double the actual torrent file from my Documents Directory, as expected the torrent file gets copied to the Incomplete Directory and qBittorrent does a torrent check, and after finishing, it's suppose to move them to the Completed Directory, but qBittorrent forgets to do it first, BEFORE beginning the seeding process.

Can you please check by moving one of your completed or possibly partially completed torrent into the Incomplete Directory? Once it finishes D/L or Finishes checking, does it get moved to the Completed Directory?

Many Thanks!
Last edited by Simon on Thu May 14, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Sure, I will install a new Win7 in a vm and check.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

It can also be a permission issue.
Windows 7 and Windows 8 with UAC won't let you write into folders with C:\ and such.
Try under C:\Users\username\

(But I am trying it on my vm atm.)
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

It's something on YOUR end.
Attachments
4.png
3.png
2.png
1.png
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

boo.
Attachments
5.png
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Windows 7 and Windows 8 with UAC won't let you write into folders with C:\ and such
Not C:\ per se, From Windows Vista onwards, applications were/are no longer allowed to write to %SYSTEMROOT%  so if your Windows system was installed on E: drive %SYSTEMROOT% would be E:\

edit] Linux path separators corrected to Windows ones
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

The file moving feature in qBittorrent is very unpredictable, and the problem has been around for ages.
Currently, a fix is tagged for v3.2.1:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/2220/
..but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
As I recall, there's been numerous attempts to fix related issues in the past, but unfortunately, with little or no effect.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

As I recall, there's been numerous attempts to fix related issues in the past, but unfortunately, with little or no effect.
Mainly due to the plethora of  "if then .. do, don't .. else .. don't .. maybe try ... instead"s  that the code has collected over the life of the source as extra 'bits' have been 'bolted on'.

disclaimer:
Not real code just a sardonic representation of it.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Dunno I have been using qBittorrent for way toooo long and never had an issue with this feature.
Even though I used the client from XP to 10, from BSD to almost every major Linux distro.

And as you can see, this was a brand new Windows 7.
And I didn't edit anything, except the settings.
And it worked.

@OP: What language do you have your Windows in? English?
Uhm... what keyboard layout/localization(Location)?
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="Peter"]never had an issue with this feature.[/quote]

Have you got "Display torrent content and some options" checked?
As reported by ciaobaby, this option might be what's causing the issues (when checked).

Personally, I've always got this option checked, and the file moving feature is a mess!
Sometimes it works as expected, while other times it might be reversed, it copies the files instead of moving them, or they doesn't get moved at all.

I'm on Win8.1 now (with UAC disabled), but I had the same problems under WinXP.
Simon

Post by Simon »

[quote="Peter"]
It's something on YOUR end.
[/quote]
Hi Peter..

Can you PLEASE move BOTH the completed Debian-8.0.iso AND the Debian-8.0.torrent that is in your Finished Directory back into your UnFinished Directory and then double click the Debian-8.0.torrent file?

qBittorrent should start the D/L and does a "Checking" routine since it notices the file is already in its UnFinished Directory and only D/L pieces it does not have, and after finishing, starts seeding the already Completed file, but the file on my computer would Remain in the UnFinished Directory....

Can you verify this very peculiar behavior?

Thanks...