Also Delete File is VERY BAD!!

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
DevilMind

Also Delete File is VERY BAD!!

Post by DevilMind »

Delete Torrent should 2 options:
1. Delete file Send to Recycle Bin
2. Delete file DO NOT Send to Recycle Bin (like current Also Delete File on Disk)

a lot of time me, my brother or my friend do this mistake of Also Delete File on Disk thinking this is sending file to Recycle Bin and that is not true.
many times i had to re-download the files again because of this simple click mistake.
ciaobaby

Re: Also Delete File is VERY BAD!!

Post by ciaobaby »

many times i had to re-download the files again because of this simple click mistake.
And how would adding an extra option make you learn from your mistakes?
skribb

Post by skribb »

It's a bit cumbersome and not very intuitive in my opinion, but you do get used to it, DevilMind
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

By the way, education not legislation is the answer to this
a lot of time me, my brother or my friend do this mistake of Also Delete File on Disk thinking this is sending file to Recycle Bin and that is not true.
"problem".
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

A lot of times, user error can be attributed to bad interface:
http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-opposite-of-fitts-law/

At the least, it should be explicitly clear in the warning text that qBT's delete does NOT send files to the recycle bin.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I think the word "Delete" already has a ring of finality about it, and there is a second good hint with "Also delete the files on the hard disk.

If it wasn't final, surely it should be worded as 'Trash"? Which would indicate that it can be revered at some point, I do think that the vast majority of users do understand that delete means "Kiss it goodbye".
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

I agree that there should be an option for this might even agree on making it the default option, however don't really have any problems with the current one deleting everything completely tough.
Last edited by dragons4life on Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lgallard

Post by lgallard »

For people who use trash bin there could be a message before deleting the file. Something like:

"Be aware that deleting the file can't be undone, and pressing Ok will delete the file permanently from your hard disk"

On the other hand, not all users run qBittorrent on Windows or use the trash bin.

Regards!
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

[quote="lgallard"]
For people who use trash bin there could be a message before deleting the file. Something like:

"Be aware that deleting the file can't be undone, and pressing Ok will delete the file permanently from your hard disk"

On the other hand, not all users run qBittorrent on Windows or use the trash bin.

Regards!
[/quote]
I wonder how many use Windows
s4zando

Post by s4zando »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
I think the word "Delete" already has a ring of finality about it, and there is a second good hint with "Also delete the files on the hard disk.

If it wasn't final, surely it should be worded as 'Trash"? Which would indicate that it can be revered at some point, I do think that the vast majority of users do understand that delete means "Kiss it goodbye".
[/quote]

Ciaobaby, you are very correct and I agree with you, mostly. :) The requester does bring up a good point tho. In general, most end users today have gotten used to being able to recover "accidentally" deleted files from a recycle bin or trash can (you can thank Microsoft and Apple for this). That being said, I personally like being able to wholly and entirely delete torrents, however it appears that others may not.

So why not have the ability to adjust the delete action in the Preferences? Radio button the options, "Delete forever" or "Delete to Trash can/Recycle bin". Now end users can adjust their client to behave in a way that is consistent with their expectations and personal retention policy. You could retain the current deletion policy, or instead make the default the less severe of the two options (erroring on safety's side), and allow the end user to select the more destructive of the two if they so desire. I'll leave that argument to the maintainers. :)

Yes, this changes the current behavior (aka "You sunk my battleship!"), but also gives a nice feature for users who like/need a life preserver. Those of us who like to swim in deep waters with out safety have the option to do so.

Your concern of possible confusion at the delete option in the main gui is resolved (no changes), yet gives the requester the feature they desire, and provides a potentially nice recovery option if desired.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

The reason that option is NOT available  is because there is no cross platform method in the QT framework to do this.