[SOLVED] qBittorent quits and uninstalls on its own?

Windows specific questions, problems.
Jerico

[SOLVED] qBittorent quits and uninstalls on its own?

Post by Jerico »

So this problem started after I downloaded the 3.3.4 versio. So far qBittorent has uninstalled itself twice, without notifeing me at all(stopped doing this), and after prolonged time quits on its own. I haven't seen qbittorrent quit yet since it seems to happen while I sleep. It is weird. The uninstall problem seemed to go away when I added qbittorent folder to exclusion list on kaspersky anti-virus, but qbittorrent quitting still persists. Has anybody experienced problems with kaspersky + qbittorent? I haven't had any problems with qbittorrent and I have been very happy with it.
Last edited by Jerico on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
KitKat

Re: qBittorent quits and uninstalls on its own?

Post by KitKat »

[quote="Jerico"]
The uninstall problem seemed to go away when I added qbittorent folder to exclusion list on kaspersky anti-virus, but qbittorrent quitting still persists. Has anybody experienced problems with kaspersky + qbittorent? I haven't had any problems with qbittorrent and I have been very happy with it.
[/quote]
Can you check kaspersky's virus locker/quarantine and see if its detected qbittorent.exe?
My AV/AM setup is calling all qbittorent installations (3.3.4) for linux & windows clean.
Its possibly a false positive on kaspersky's part if its detecting it (probably some reputation detection/havent seen this before and its doing network stuff)

Virustotal is calling the setup & .exe clean so i dont think thats the problem.
qbittorent.exe - https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/31ed ... 459492869/
qbittorrent_3.3.4_setup.exe - https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/4ed8 ... 459492776/

What operating system are you on?
If windows 10 did you install it as the same user profile you're attempting to access it on if you didnt do an admin install?
Jerico

Post by Jerico »

That's the thing I have checked Kaspersky and there no mention it ever intervening with qbittorrent, or it taking any action what so ever conserning qbittorrent. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I also tried tracking down when the uninstall happened, or qbittorrent quitting, at the event viewer but so far I haven't been able to make head-or-tails of it since it doesn't really have a search function.
Last edited by Jerico on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="Jerico"]
That's the thing I have checked Kaspersky and there no mention it ever intervening with qbittorrent, or it taking any action what so ever conserning qbittorrent. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I also tried tracking down when the uninstall happened, or qbittorrent quitting, at the event viewer but so far I haven't been able to make head-or-tails of it since it doesn't really have a search function.
[/quote]
School/University hardware?
Could be group policy or a network admin remoting in and removing it after its detected lol.

Cant really think of anything that would cause this on its own, sorry.

/e: Actually!!
When you install it, does kaspersky VM it? (Run in sandbox mode or something)
Avast used to have the potential to kill software upgrades before it notified the user it was sandboxing the "unknown" application.
Last edited by KitKat on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerico

Post by Jerico »

[quote="KitKat"]
[quote="Jerico"]
[/quote]
School/University hardware?
Could be group policy or a network admin remoting in and removing it after its detected lol.

Cant really think of anything that would cause this on its own, sorry.

/e: Actually!!
When you install it, does kaspersky VM it? (Run in sandbox mode or something)
Avast used to have the potential to kill software upgrades before it notified the user it was sandboxing the "unknown" application.
[/quote]
Nope no university hardware etc. This is very mind boggling to me too, I mean I've been "playing around" without computers for past 20 years and I've never anything like this happen to me.
The good thing is that it seems that both problems, the uninstall and qbittorent quitting, have stopped. The scary thing is that someone might have access to my system(all the symptoms stopped after I rebooted my rooter), which I find hard to believe. I have Kaspersky as a AV, as I stated earlier, I'm also using windows firewall and I have changed passwords and loggings from my rooter. Well see what happens.
mharnk

Post by mharnk »

I noticed the same thing, suddenly qbittorrent was not properly installed anymore, Kaspersky on Windows 10. I did see that Kaspersky detected it as a trojan. I reinstalled, and it seems to be OK now.

Looks like it was a false positive.
Kaspersky saw the qbittorrent process as PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="mharnk"]
Kaspersky saw the qbittorrent process as PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic
[/quote]
IIRC thats a heuristics detection for a ransomware encryption module. (likely a false positive since web scanner calls it clean)
What the hell did @sledgehammer user to pack qbittorent?
Jerico

Post by Jerico »

Well I just wanted to come by and say that what ever caused this "problem" has gone away. I haven't had any problems anymore, so I guess this matter is closed. Thank you everybody who helped =)
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Windows 10 updates also tend to do this.
First the main upgrade from your previous version, then the major cumulative upgrades.
It basically removes anything that is "not compatible".

Which is 99% of the times is false alarm, but yeah.
http://www.howtogeek.com/243581/windows ... ut-asking/
ciaobaby

Re: [SOLVED] qBittorent quits and uninstalls on its own?

Post by ciaobaby »

the Linux world should just about be ready for main stream users
Many of the Linux distros are "ready for mainstream", it only remains for some parts of the Linux community to get over the idea of Linux being "special" and just for the "geeks".
KitKat

Re: [SOLVED] qBittorent quits and uninstalls on its own?

Post by KitKat »

[quote="purpleparrot"]
In 5 years or so, the Linux world should just about be ready for main stream users.
[/quote]
[quote="ciaobaby"]
it only remains for some parts of the Linux community to get over the idea of Linux being "special" and just for the "geeks".
[/quote]
Personally i'd rephrase that to "it only remains for most parts of the mainstream community to get over the idea of linux been "difficult" and just for the "geeks"

The only legitimately difficult modern operating systems to use is well.. windows BUT in headless mode(substandard CLI most apps not having functional CLI yet 100% of the windows exploits still work in headless). GLHF.

Srsly though, everything has a GUI, everything has a fairly simple learning curve, the only legitimately (had to read the whole book on this shit before starting/couldnt learn as i went) OS i've ever used was a z/OS ibm mainframe running z/VM with solaris as the user mode.
So in not-smartass speak, hardest OS to learn/grasp i've used is oracle's solaris in a fancy VM.

/e: disclaimer: Gentoo does NOT have a "fairly simple learning curve" it is the OS i tell people who annoy me to install as it will solve 100% of their paranoia problems or kill them in the process.
Last edited by KitKat on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.