Slow downloads to NAS

Windows specific questions, problems.
Asturie

Slow downloads to NAS

Post by Asturie »

I am having very slow download speeds when downloading from my desktop to my NAS. I recently moved and previously had both my desktop and NAS hardwired but unfortunately where my desktop is now I have to use wifi. What currently happens when I try to download with qBittorrent through my desktop and save the file to my NAS, the download speed peaks at about 6.8 MB/s and then slows down to about 4.5 MB/s. However, if I save the file to my desktop the download speed is what it is supposed to be at 20 MB/s. I have also installed qBittorrent on my NAS and used remote desktop. When I remote desktop into the NAS and save the file to the NAS, it also downloads at the speed of 20 MB/s. If I transfer a file from my desktop to my NAS through the normal Windows copy program it transfers at roughly 70-80 MB/s which is about right. All this leads me to believe that something is wrong with my qBittorrent setup. Any help would be appreciated.

TL:DR Slow downloads when saving files to NAS; Normal download speed when saving to local desktop and locally to NAS. Transferring files through Windows works at correct speed

Desktop OS: Win 10
NAS OS: Windows Server 2012 R2

qBittorrent Version: 3.3.4 but have also tried 3.3.3

Connection Limits:Nothing currently checked but have used:
  • Global Max Connection 500
  • Max Connection 100
  • Global Max upload slot 8
  • Max upload slots per torrent 4
Rate Limits
uTP protocol is currently selected but have tried without

BitTorrent Privacy
DHT, PeX, and Local Peer are all disabled. Encryption is preferred.

Advanced
Everything is default, but have tried changing Disk write cache size to various numbers between 500 and 1500 MiB
Last edited by Asturie on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
KitKat

Re: Slow downloads to NAS

Post by KitKat »

[quote="Asturie"]
TL:DR Slow downloads when saving files to NAS; Normal download speed when saving to local desktop and locally to NAS. Transferring files through Windows works at correct speed
[/quote]
Simply: Wifi is really shit for rapid client-server connections.
Complicated:
I'd guess at qbittorent's piece verification (occurs every piece you download) is slow/latency occurs during the check over WiFI to your NAS.
Packet loss/delay here probably chokes qbittorent as it is waiting for next piece/single threaded.
With the download speeds your posting LAN latency COULD be a factor in this as you download pieces extremely quickly.

I'd suggest using the "Keep Incomplete Torrents In" feature to save the torrents to your local HDD, then use the "Save Files to Location" feature to move them to your NAS.
This way you get the optimal speed for downloading and it still winds up on your NAS when its done, with all filesystem checks/responses been handled locally instead of over the WiFi.
If the above doesn't resolve the issue i dont know, post a bug on the github as its probably a qbittorent/libtorrent fault rather than a settings issue.

/e: Said feature is found on the Tools > Options > Downloads page.
By the way, theres not much point in disabling DHT/PXE if you're concerned about infringement notices from your ISP its usually the fault of a tracker scrape listing you as a seeder/downloader than them actually connecting to you.
Of course if you're a member of a semi-private tracker with rules that require them been disabled then my point is moot.
Last edited by KitKat on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
andregurgel

Re: Slow downloads to NAS

Post by andregurgel »

The best strategy, and the one I use, is to keep incomplete torrents in the local drive (the one where qbit is running) and copying the finished the completed torrents to your NAS.

But there lies a problem IF you use the "Keep incomplete..." and "Default save path" modus operandi AND want to move/rename/delete them on the NAS: qbit will keep the torrent files open if they are being uploaded to other users.

That's why I use another approach in order to rearrange the files as I wish: disable the above MO, maintaining only a normal local torrent location and enable the "Run external program..." with this (Windows only) command line: xcopy /s /i /q /y "%F" \\NAS\_newtorrents

This way qbit can keep uploading (as anyone is supposed to) and free the NAS to its server operations; even putting itself to sleep.

Caveat: the "xcopy..." will copy only the internal files, not the folder structure. That's because the %F parameter - a qbit already reported problem.