Torrent returns every time qBittorrent restarts

Windows specific questions, problems.
Lawitz

Torrent returns every time qBittorrent restarts

Post by Lawitz »

I have a 0% finished torrent where the torrent was deleted from the tracker so I tried deleting the torrent from qBittorrent but every time I restart qBittorrent the torrent is back. It even survived a complete windows reinstall so it must be something that has gone wrong in my qBittorrent data backup. I don't want to delete any data that would remove my torrents or their stats. Is there a way to get rid of it permanently so I don't have to delete it every time qBittorrent starts? The torrent file in BT_backup is gone.
KitKat

Re: Torrent returns every time qBittorrent restarts

Post by KitKat »

Note down the hash of the torrent file.
CLOSE QBITTORENT and make sure the process has actually exited in task managers process viewer.

Navigate to your BT_backup folder and look for a .fastresume file with a name identical to the torrents hash.
Delete that file if it exists, start qbittorrent and the file should be gone.
.fastresume files are the files that tell qbittorent to open a specific torrent on startup, not the .torrent file.

If it doesnt exist i dont know, sorry :C
Last edited by KitKat on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawitz

Post by Lawitz »

Sadly that doesn't help. the torrent always comes back. The fastresume file also comes back if I press "resume" on the torrent.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

Try this in order.

1. Open qbittorrent
2. Remove the offending torrent inside qbittorrent
3. Close qbittorrent (completely, not closed to taskbar)
4. Delete the .fastresume file in the BT_Backup folder
5. Open qbittorrent.

Literally had this issue a few days ago due to an improper shutdown and that resolved it for me :X
Lawitz

Post by Lawitz »

Removing the torrent in qBittorrent already removes the .fastresume file automatically. My issue seems to be different.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

RSS feed active that keeps picking it up? (since it's "missing")
Lawitz

Post by Lawitz »

No that is not it either.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Backup all your qBT settings folders.
Then try a fresh qBT install.
If the torrent doesn't reappear after restarting "fresh" qBT a couple times, try adding back your old settings piecemeal (while qBT is stopped) and test a bit.
You've got some crazy weirdness going on, and that's the only thing I can think of to root it out.

Any chance there's multiple installs of qBT under different user logins?
Lawitz

Post by Lawitz »

Well I fixed the problem in an unexpected way. Looks like the torrent wasn't deleted from the tracker but something went wrong with it on my pc (maybe one of those many times my pc froze until I upgraded to more RAM messed it up)  the checksum changed which resulted in a tracker error that I usually get when something is deleted from it. I redownloaded the torrent again which now had the proper checksum and then I deleted it. The ghost torrent is now gone.