"Automatic Torrent Management" - what is that?

Windows specific questions, problems.
postcd

"Automatic Torrent Management" - what is that?

Post by postcd »

Hello, when i right mouse click some torrent, i can select this option "Automatic Torrent Management" from the menu.
What it will do exactly? Is there any description detailed, Google not found anything from which i understand the impact of enabling this mode.

---- UPDATE -----

This is how Automatic Torrent Management (ATM) works as i understand it:
I think this feature helps to manage local downloaded files thru qBittorent by creating Categories and subcategories (kind of directory structure which you can create/see in the qBt left sidebar). This directory structure will be mirrored to your HDD into folder defined in Options/Downloads/Default Save Path). When you change some torrent category (right click/Category), then qbittorrent will also conveniently move this torrent files on your HDD from old category folder to new one.

Next benefit of ATM is that it allows relocating whole directory tree (all files belonging to the ATM enabled torrents) to different location (even different drive) quite easily by changing global variable "Default save path" from within Options/Downloads. But before this change, change option Options/Downloads/"When Default Save Path changed" to be "Reallocate affected torrents".

----

How to proceed when want to try ATM feature?

CREATE CATEGORIES
On the left of the qBittorent, setup some Categories and Subcategories. Example category: "Movies", subcategory "Action".
(Categories will be your HDD folder structure for auto managed torrents.)

DEFINE DEFAULT SAVE PATH
Open qBittorent Options / Downloads and there set "Default Save Path" to your HDD where you want to store files for all torrents that you want be Auto Managed (in our example we will use HDD root path: D:\).

RELOCATE TORRENT'S DATA (downloaded files) TO THE CATEGORY WE DEFINED ABOVE
Assign some torrent to the category/or subcategory by right click on it and then Category menu. (example: torrent "Action movie 1" to the subcategory "Action").

When you enable Automatic Torrent Management for the torrent (Action Movie 1) by right click torrent and select ATM, qBittorent will move torrent files to the. D:\Movies\Action\Action Movie 1

If you want to change base/root path/HDD where are your categories folders located,
1) go to Options/Downloads and check option "When Default Save Path changed" and set it to Reallocate affected torrents
2) go to Options/Downloads and change Default Save Path (qBt will be moving files at background now?)
Last edited by postcd on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KitKat

Re: "Automatic Torrent Management" - what is that?

Post by KitKat »

It enables the features shown here
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/4696

IMHO it should not be in the right click menu...