Multiple seeds on _my_ torrent with ratio still less than 1.0???

Other platforms, generic questions.
zblei

Multiple seeds on _my_ torrent with ratio still less than 1.0???

Post by zblei »

I just created a new torrent and uploaded it for others to see.

As other people started to download it, I noticed eventually the number of seeders increased, yet my upload ratio is well below 1.0.  How can this occur on a torrent I created? Is the upload ratio not a true indicator of how much I've uploaded?
Switeck

Re: Multiple seeds on _my_ torrent with ratio still less than 1.0???

Post by Switeck »

Is your ip address "jumping around"...changing every few hours/days? (causing it to be counted as multiple seeds)

Is the content the torrent contains possibly available somewhere else, even if not currently a torrent somewhere else?
zblei

Post by zblei »

IP address is not changing - also this happened within an hour of sharing the torrent.

Yes, the content could be available elsewhere, perhaps this is it. So if two different people create a torrent with the same files, am I to understand the torrent file will always be the same? Even if someone downloaded the files having used someone else's torrent, because the hash is the same, it will show as a seed for my torrent too?
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

[quote="zblei"]So if two different people create a torrent with the same files, am I to understand the torrent file will always be the same? Even if someone downloaded the files having used someone else's torrent, because the hash is the same, it will show as a seed for my torrent too?[/quote]A torrent with more than 1 file could have the files arranged in a different order and end up with an entirely different hash than yours.

Even with just 1 file, the hash could be different because the torrent creation programs may have used a different default or custom piece size...and end up with totally different hashes for the same file.

There may be differences even in the torrent if different trackers are included, but probably not...however they'd only "link up" with the same hash if there is at least 1 identical tracker and those participants both did a tracker update to it. That may not happen if there's >3 trackers and the torrent clients are not set to update all trackers. If the torrents are public and share the same hash, even if they lack common trackers they can still find each other using DHT...maybe/eventually...it'd require both you and them to be using DHT and find each other.

So that way is a LOT harder than it sounds.

More likely, someone grabbed your .torrent file and figured out they already had the file/s contained in it...added that .torrent file to their BT client, pointed the .torrent file to the location of the files they already have, and did a force recheck, and ended up with 100% complete. They still had to do a tracker update for the tracker to see them as a seed and report to YOU that there's other seeds on the same torrent.
zblei

Post by zblei »

Thanks for the explanation Switeck. I managed to find the other torrent and added it to my client, and it saw that as separate than my torrent (it started to download independently), so I guess that's what happened (someone else manually did as you suggest), though it's funny it would happen so quickly. I appreciate the explanations!
Last edited by zblei on Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

People who use private trackers with tough ratio requirements are highly motivated to find additional torrents to share without downloading more.
Some might even have the process partially automated, by using scripts or keeping copies of almost everything in a default folder.
magao

Post by magao »

Also possible that someone had an RSS feed that it popped up from, they noticed that the files were identical and just decided "I'll help seed this".