Losing VPN connection when downloading starts

Windows specific questions, problems.
petergo

Losing VPN connection when downloading starts

Post by petergo »

hi there
the past few days, I notice that when I am downloading a torrent and I am connected through a VPN, within a few minutes, the connection to the VPN is lost.
I am using win 10 pro.
When I do not have qbittorrent running the VPN stays connected

appreciate any help, kindest thanks, cheers
Switeck

Re: Losing VPN connection when downloading starts

Post by Switeck »

Try vastly reducing the number of connections qBitTorrent makes and maybe even put a low DL and UL speed limit on qBT for testing.
DHT, LPD, and half open connections probably also needs to be disabled or reduced to low numbers. (like 1-10 for half open)
If that doesn't help, also try disabling uTP.

At that point, if that doesn't help your VPN may just be HORRIBLY faulty...or you have local networking problems. (like bad router, bad firewall, etc)
Arby

Post by Arby »

I've spent money on two different VPNs (HMA, which gave up a user, and Tunnel Bear). I ditched HMA (which is owned by AVG, which I will never use again) when I found out that it doesn't protect its users fully from Big Brother. Tunnel Bear may be fine, but it doesn't work when I'm doing some things, like file sharing. I rarely turn it on. If big brother doesn't want us using it - and the police state and its Silicon Valley allies are anti-privacy - then it has the capability to prevent it. No amount of bravado can alter that fact.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Warning: If you're using a VPN or proxy...
index.php/topic,5085.0.html

A VPN could be failing because of qBitTorrent bugs rather than being the VPN's fault.