Request to improve the UPnP of qB

Linux specific questions, problems.
JackMegatron

Request to improve the UPnP of qB

Post by JackMegatron »

Hey. Mega cool, to be here.  8) ::)

According to one's own Internet Provider, respectively mostly, according to ROUTER (!) type, Qbittorrent and ALL Filesharing Clients on Linux (unlike on windows, AND unlike Amule on Linux, even!) might in certain cases need a rather complicated and by the user her- or himself then in the cases, where needed (Qbittorrent under Linux, as direct PC host or in Virtualbox, same case!), router-intrusive, router-configurative "port-forwarding" respectively port-opening, it's called in some routers "give free/share/allow access to ports".

Therefore, when moving to another apartment, or when changing one's internet service provider or router, such a router-configuration by the user is needed - yet NOT at all (!) for Amule, where it does not matter, if the connection indicator symbol arrows are merely yellow and not green, which shows, that Amule (and Emule) has a more sophisticated, differently built net-system, - seen so by comparison to qBittorrent, from the view of a user, who is not dumb, and who can merely see, in qB's log, which ports the program needs and could connect to or not.

Of course, "pglgui", Peerguardian, and also "gufw", the two best firewalls for Linux, are also important.

The result in my case is, that new routers of most providers, need configuration sadly, to give qB access.

I got now, by some port-opening by me within my router, actually a green symbol for connections in qB, yet the search MERELY finds the Demonoid search engine, and not ANY others. Also, the update button for the search engines gives the (wrong) error message, that the update server would "temporarily not be available", which shows, my qB still has not the correct connection.

I didn't only do port openings for really "all" ports, which qB needs, shown by the "sockinfo" command, the "procinfo" program on linux, which shows, which ports running programs use or need. Should I define anywhere port ranges?

I also, moreover, did those port openings for both qB and for UPnP, within GUFW.

When I now restart my qB (within Virtualbox on Ubuntu, bridged networking, should work perfectly, always did, bridged net is better than NAT, since the host then doesn't need to be opened up by Peerblock, if the host is a win sys, yet I DID now even open up in Peerblock on my host sys, that by surely lots of users at first mistrusted 239.255.255.255 adress.

Anyway, when I restart the qB within the Virtualbox Ubuntu system, which is freshly installed and perfectly configured by me, then, the qB shows an error msg, the by qB connected-to IP would "already be in use", which I don't yet understand, could be a redundant, "too much" of port-opening in the router, I estimate. That shouldn't happen, of course. Restarting qB itself, should be no problem. Anyway, the first start of qB is insofar successful, more than nothing, by the DHT, which now correctly connects to around 380 nodes, which IS great already.

Yet as said, I only funnily got access now in searches, to only Demonoid, yet all the search engines should be accessed by any search.

Even without UPnP, qB could connect perfectly, exactly like Amule does.

I already requested the actually exact same thing, well, a bit of a different thing, that qB should connect via WLAN, which was several years ago, which I clearly saw, was the reason back then for actually Utorrent's non-connection, even on win, back then, when connecting via WLAN. It got taken up, yet the UPnP module and better-said, the entire connection module of Uttorent of course, was improved, - which does not relate to Qbittorrent, LOL :) I simply wanted here to again say a HUGE thank You also to the Utorrent makers, which took up my request EXTREMELY quickly, and it worked after a mere FIVE DAYS after my request, about which I was extremely positively STUNNED really, very astounded.

It's important, to translate things correctly, from tech-experience, by anyone, into what is the problem, a description of that.

Here, the simple concern of mine, I am PC-Supporter, is, that Users should NOT be required, to "mess" with, to configure anyhow, their router, which can lead to loss of internet connection, which DID even happen to me. Routers in cases don't like some stuff, namely the disablement of remote control, which must inside the LAN, still be left open. Most users wouldn't know, what to change in their router, and what not, and how to correctly change, configure, whenever, needed port openings.

qB CAN connect, without any port-forwarding, even without UPnP, already now, with some "tweaking" by its own makers. As for now, enabling UPnP in one's own router, is a good method, to get the DHT icon to turn green, within qB, yet I don't know yet, how to "enable", to make connect, the search engines of qB.

It's a two-fold story: I need to know, how to connect, how to make qB connect, and I want to put out this request, to pre-configure qB, to run without any router-configuration, and also without UPnP, since UPnP is a security risk for the router, which my router explicitely told me, when turning on the UPnP, and I am technically not so "happy" about turning on UPnP.

It's simply much more secure, to download by a filesharing client ONLY within a linux system, be that as a host system, or as a guest system in virtualbox, which makes exactly NO difference, host or guest system. And people DO mostly NEED a win sys, as host, since most apps run only on win, of course.

That amule can connect "fully" (=also yellow connection symbol, not only green!), without any router configuration, and qB not, is "the thing", the problem, which CAN be improved.

For now, the needed port-forwardings/openings in the router and in pglgui and in gufw, are surely a "tread-down", a lowering, of security of the system.

Until qB can connect "just like this", without anything ado, I am VERY thankful, for hints, how to "correct" my search-connection problem in qB, so I know, how to deal with this problem correctly. I hope, qB will soon need no router configuration anymore. It's important for the survival of self-education globally, actually.

Thanks so much for your cherished Replies, blessed be Ye, my great Robotlords Nerds.