Odd behavior with Qbittorrent and ExpressVPN

Windows specific questions, problems.
Dalumberjack

Odd behavior with Qbittorrent and ExpressVPN

Post by Dalumberjack »

First, I have tired doing as much research as possible and trying all fixes and or workarounds to no avail.

I have been using Qbittorrent for quite a while with no issues. I specifically use it with a socks 5 proxy and all has been great in life.

I recently decided to try a vpn and went with expressvpn. After installing the vpn, I immediately started not being able to connect to seeds (with normal qbittorrent settings on the vpn and or also trying to run the proxy with vpn). The weird part is, when a torrent starts, I will connect to a bunch of seeds, then all of a sudden my seed connections will drop to zero and stay that way. My peers will stay connected sometimes and I will continue to upload. This happens no matter what vpn server location I use.

The second weird part is this only happens to certain torrents, such as trying to download  tv episodes. When trying a open free torrent for speed & connection tests from a site such as https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/test_torrents, I can connect to seeds and peers without an issue with the vpn on.

The last weird part is if I turn off the vpn, the behavior continues. The only way to get my torrents working again is to uninstall the vpn, uninstall qbittorrent, restart, reinstall qbittorrent, and now qbittorrent using just a socks5 proxy works again like it always has.

So I am at a loss as to what is happening with the VPN software and or connections.  I come here seeking any advice hoping someone else has experienced my issue and can lead me in the right direction. Next bet was to try and contact expressvpn support, but thought I might get more knowledge answers here.

Thanks for your time everyone.
Dalumberjack

Re: Odd behavior with Qbittorrent and ExpressVPN

Post by Dalumberjack »

Well the odd behavior continues.

Now as of today my none of my torrents will connect to any seeds, except for the whirlpool test torrent. 

I turned off all encryption, turned off proxy, and went free and in the clear and still no connection at all. So now I am starting to think maybe Spectrum (Charter) is experimenting in my area with throttling torrent traffic.  Is this possible to be so selective in the throttling when the whirlpool torrent still works just fine, but others don't?

Now I'm totally confused and up the creek without a paddle.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

use 4.1.1. It uses newer libtorrent version which fixes issues with proxies.
kennethblackman79

Post by kennethblackman79 »

[quote="Dalumberjack"]
First, I have tired doing as much research as possible and trying all fixes and or workarounds to no avail.

I have been using Qbittorrent for quite a while with no issues. I specifically use it with a socks 5 proxy and all has been great in life.

I recently decided to try a vpn and went with expressvpn. After installing the vpn, I immediately started not being able to connect to seeds (with normal qbittorrent settings on the vpn and or also trying to run the proxy with vpn). The weird part is, when a torrent starts, I will connect to a bunch of seeds, then all of a sudden my seed connections will drop to zero and stay that way. My peers will stay connected sometimes and I will continue to upload. This happens no matter what vpn server location I use.

The second weird part is this only happens to certain torrents, such as trying to download  tv episodes. When trying a open free torrent for speed & connection tests from a site such as https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/test_torrents, I can connect to seeds and peers without an issue with the vpn on.

The last weird part is if I turn off the vpn, the behavior continues. The only way to get my torrents working again is to uninstall the vpn, uninstall qbittorrent, restart, reinstall qbittorrent, and now qbittorrent using just a socks5 proxy works again like it always has.

So I am at a loss as to what is happening with the VPN software and or connections.  I come here seeking any advice hoping someone else has experienced my issue and can lead me in the right direction. Next bet was to try and contact expressvpn support, but thought I might get more knowledge answers here.

Thanks for your time everyone.
[/quote]

Did updating expressVPN app help your case? I'm trying two different VPN ATM right now, one is express and the other is Ivacy and both are working for me so I'm assuming it's your ISP, app version or windows. Is it specific to certain torrent files? Like try getting the same TV show elsewhere and see if that's recreating the same issue. I didn't have any issues with Express but did face this thing with one torrent in case of Ivacy. I just downloaded the updated version of the app from their download page and the issue got resolved automatically. I still don't know what was the exact issue because it worked on both providers and on two different ISPs after that. So maybe that was a one-time thing? :/