Most torrents start very fast, then slow down to less than 100 kbps quickly

Windows specific questions, problems.
JustDandy

Most torrents start very fast, then slow down to less than 100 kbps quickly

Post by JustDandy »

- Internet connection speed - 20-32 MBps (Speedtest.net) Comcast (west coast)
- qbittorrent 4.1.1
- Default qbittorrent settings except for up to 5 active torrents
- using a well-regarded VPN (20-32 MBps dl with VPN active)
- with 1 to 3 torrents active, each torrent will reach 5-15 MBps for maybe 1-2 minutes, then the dl speed drops below 10 kBps
- occasionally while dl is active at 10 kBps or less, speed will jump back up to 5 - 15 MBps briefly, then goes back down to 10 kBps or less
- occasionally, some torrents never slow down significantly and will download at 5 MBps or faster until the dl is complete
- files being dowloaded are BIG... 500 MB to 80 GB
- seeders range from 25 to 1000, doesn't seem to matter much re. dl speed, most torrents connect to most of the available seeders
- port in qBittorrent is forwarded and qBit app is allowed "in" and "out" connections

Thoughts on what might fix this? Remember, occasionally, these large torrents download at high speeds with no problems. But I'd say that happens maybe 10% of the time and the slow speed is there 90% of the time.
- 1 to 3 active torrents... speeds start out fast for each one, then slow down drastically in 2 minutes or less (usally less)
Switeck

Re: Most torrents start very fast, then slow down to less than 100 kbps quickly

Post by Switeck »

VPN could be bandwidth-overloaded and throttle to low speeds from time-to-time.

VPN could be connection-overloaded and almost crash and go to low speed as a result.

Upload-side overloads can cause massive download-side speed die-offs.

qBitTorrent settings may simply be too aggressive for one or more reasons.
JustDandy

Post by JustDandy »

When I run Speedtest while torrents are dl-ing at low speeds, I get the same 20-32 MBps result using servers close and far (500-1000 miles). Also, I have had cases with 3 torrents active where 2 torrents are very slow (with 50 to 150 seeds per torrent), while a torrent with 25 seeds hits dl speeds of 10 MBps. So I can't blame the VPN for this. Must go back to qBittorrent settings and guess. Any advice on what settings to use for numbers of connections per torrent and global connections and such? I typically will dl just 1 torrent at a time if the torrent maintains a high dl speed.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

From private trackers or fast public torrents, 50 connections per torrent should be sufficient to overkill.
Half open connection max lower that as low as 1, although try 5 first.
DHT, LSD, tracker icons? (not sure about that one), and maybe a couple other things can slow down a connection even when there's plenty of bandwidth available.

Plus, uTP peer/seed connections seems especially rough on VPNs and proxy connections because uTP uses UDP and libtorrent needs to do a little more improvement on those.

Lastly, put in speed limits for DL and UL -- even far lower than your connection's maximum, at least for testing if that's to blame.
JustDandy

Post by JustDandy »

Well, the issue I'm having is definitely qBittorrent and not the connection or VPN. I deleted qBittorrent and used a "deep" removal tool that is supposed to remove preferrences, history, cache and other files that the uninstaller usually leaves behind. I then downloaded qBittorrent again and left everything at defaults again, still starts out very fast, then gets very slow within a minute or so. I then downloaded Vuze (trying to find another client that doesn't do cryptocurrenty crap for other people in the background while the client is runnning (like uTorrent started doing earlier this year, at least I think it wasn't happening before this year). Anyway, I then loaded the same torrents that were running slow with qBittorrent and those same torrents hit the dl speeds I would expect of them.

I forgot to mention earlier... qBittorrent shows some upload activity while the dl speed is fast, but as the dl speed slows down, the upload speed starts showing 0 kBps and it stays there until I stop the torrent then restart the torrent some time later (like 1 or 2 hours later), I get the burst of speed when I restart the torrent, then it drops to very slow dl speed (can actually be in the Bps rate (no k) when it runs as slow as it ever gets). Previous versions of qBittorrent were not doing this. I think I may try going back a couple of release versions to see if I get better results with a previous version. Normally, if Vuze worked, I'd just uninstall qBittorrent, and keep using Vuze but I like qBittorrent's UI better so would like to get qBittorrent running better than it has been running for the last month or so.

Speed comparisons: qBittorrent will start torrents by hitting speeds of 1 MBps to 15 or even 18 MBps. This lasts for 30-90 seconds and the dl rate slows over 30 seconds or so to speeds below 100 kBps and even slower than 10 kBps most of the time. The torrent will then maintain that low speed for hours when there could be a minute or two where the dl speed jumps back up to some relatively high speed. qBittorrent would typically show connections in the Seeder column that indicated more seed connections than seeders so I would typically see something like this:  110 (102) indicating 110 seeder connections with only 102 unique seeders identified to qBittorrent. I do not remember seeing that when qBittorrent used to run at normal dl speeds.

Vuze will open a torrent, slowly build dl speed to reach 1 MBps up to 18 MBps (depending on number and speed of seeders) over a minute or two, but dl speeds stay high until the dl completes. Right now, getting 5 - 10 MBps for a torrent that was dl-ing in qBit at Bps rates (no k).

Something that would help me with qBittorrent would be a means of resetting everything to default settngs in case my extra careful uniinstall really didn't remove some settings file somewhere. So even though I removed and reinstalled qBit, I can't be certain the settings I have are qBit's defaults or not. It could also be useful to be able to save a group of Options with a name like "stable operation with good dL speed" so you can experiment with settings, but restore the settings you were using previously in case something you changed doesn't work well.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

qBitTorrent v3.3.16 used libtorrent 1.0.11 instead of 1.1.1* like qBT v4.1.1 does.
It should be more stable speed-wise, but does have other bugs...

As for default settings...
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... s_settings
https://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/top ... l#msg13292 Backup qBT settings!
JustDandy

Post by JustDandy »

OK, thanks. in looking at the list of seeds and peers, typically, if there are 10 to 20 seeds/leeches connected i have only 1 of them transferring at high speed. so if the torrent dl speed is 3 MBps, one seed or leech is transferring at 2.5 MBps (or so) so if that seed disappears, dl rate drops fast. Vuze seems to keep those fast seeds connected while they seem to drop off quickly when using qBit.  I will check the links you provided to see if any qBit settings are different than defaults and have another shot at qBit.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Keep in mind when a single peer (I take leech to have another meaning XD ) or seed is uploading to you at 2.5 MB/sec either that's a significant portion of that connection's upload max...or that connection is likely a fast fiber optic line. (2.5 MB/sec is about 21-25 mbit/sec counting overheads, if they're uploading to 3 other peers at the same speed then that's close to 100 mbit/sec total UL bw just on that 1 torrent alone.)
So fast peers/seeds are rare -- the few with really fast lines often split the speed by uploading to 40+ peers at once so even they don't appear super fast. :P

Unless it's torrents on a private tracker, most peers+seeds won't be uploading at >1 MB/sec to you. So the speeds you are seeing are not usual. uTorrent and Vuze are probably better at hanging onto uTP peers+seeds. More work needs to be done on libtorrent to get qBitTorrent to that point.